The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 10:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Finally...

Wisconsin will use 3-person crews in the entire postseason starting next year.

Hooray.

(Oh, there will also be a 40-point running clock rule after the 3rd quarter. And cutting the lead under 40 will not stop the running clock.)
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Same rule in some jurisdictions on the east coast but it is 30 points.

Did some 55 minute games over last couple years....

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 03:06am.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 11:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Welcome to the club.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 11:36pm
AremRed

How much 3-person is there during the regular season?
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 11:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
How much 3-person is there during the regular season?
Depends on the conference. Now that the whole postseason will be 3-person, I anticipate more conferences moving to 3 in future years.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:20am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Depends on the conference. Now that the whole postseason will be 3-person, I anticipate more conferences moving to 3 in future years.
How many 3-man games did you work this year? Do you think all of the tournament officials will have prior 3-man experience? I had a conversation with a veteran today who said that he once worked a tournament game with a man who had never worked 3-man before and it really hurt the quality of officiating.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 06:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land That Time Forgot ...

Quote:
I had a conversation with a veteran today who said that he once worked a tournament game with a man who had never worked 3-man before and it really hurt the quality of officiating.
Happens here in the Land of Steady Habits all the time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 07:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
How many 3-man games did you work this year? Do you think all of the tournament officials will have prior 3-man experience? I had a conversation with a veteran today who said that he once worked a tournament game with a man who had never worked 3-man before and it really hurt the quality of officiating.
A good, post-season 2-man official shouldn't hurt the crew that much, IMO. Good, post-season 2-man official would study up on 3-man mechanics in preparation of working such an assignment.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 09:38am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
A good, post-season 2-man official shouldn't hurt the crew that much, IMO. Good, post-season 2-man official would study up on 3-man mechanics in preparation of working such an assignment.
Studying the 3-man mechanics and actually doing them in game situations are two very different games. I have seen very good 2-man officials, who have turned into very good 3-man officials struggle on the court when they first start doing 3-man. I think the biggest reason is that they are more worried about where they are supposed to go and when they are supposed to go there rather than concentrating on officiating the game. Add in the extra intensity of a playoff game and I think you are really asking for trouble by putting officials in situations that are not part of their normal routine.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 09:44am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Studying the 3-man mechanics and actually doing them in game situations are two very different games. I have seen very good 2-man officials, who have turned into very good 3-man officials struggle on the court when they first start doing 3-man. I think the biggest reason is that they are more worried about where they are supposed to go and when they are supposed to go there rather than concentrating on officiating the game. Add in the extra intensity of a playoff game and I think you are really asking for trouble by putting officials in situations that are not part of their normal routine.
I can definitely agree with this based on my experience last season... after doing exclusively 2-person games for my first 3 years, my first experiences with 3-person were a big adjustment.

Luckily, I got to work 3-person in a couple of preseason scrimmages, and my first few 3-person games were JV/Varsity doubleheaders, so I could get the "where am I supposed to go, what am I supposed to look at" kinks out of my system during the JV game.

If my first "on court" 3-person experience had been in an actual varsity game... it wouldn't have gone well.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 10:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

I agree with the last two posts.

I work a lot of 3-person games. I'm not worried about me or the crew I normally run with -- it will be the first couple of nights of the postseason (where there are very few close games) where I expect some growing pains for the first couple of years.

We're going to have to work hard to provide opportunities for people to work 3-person in game situations even if it means doing subvarsity 3-for-2, I think.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 10:36am
C'mon man!!

Utah has had three man for 4A and 5A mens (the top two divisions) for a long time. they just told ust there is going to be a vote here in the next couple of months whether or not to use 3 man for womens 4 and 5A (which have historically been 2 man except for the state tournament. It also sounds like the vote will be in the favor of three man. Really excited.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 11:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Colorado uses 3 man for all varsity games (with very few small-school exceptions). Some large schools use 3 for JV (better training for varsity that way).
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Utah has had three man for 4A and 5A mens (the top two divisions) for a long time. they just told ust there is going to be a vote here in the next couple of months whether or not to use 3 man for womens 4 and 5A (which have historically been 2 man except for the state tournament. It also sounds like the vote will be in the favor of three man. Really excited.
I am so excited about this. I have heard some vets would rather retire then do a 3 man girls game. And they will flat out need more referees if they pick up 3 man for 4A/5A and if the games are at the same time as the 4A/5A boys game then they just need more Varsity officials.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I have heard some vets would rather retire then do a 3 man girls game.
That's just stupid.