The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 08:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Moving Screen

13) A moving screen is not in and of itself a foul, contact must occur for a foul to be called. If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.

Thanks again rainmaker.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

The Golden Rule states:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Not:

"Do unto others as they do unto you."

This rule is one of the most misunderstood.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 10:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrpalmer3
The Golden Rule states:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Not:

"Do unto others as they do unto you."

This rule is one of the most misunderstood.
In my old neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago, it was "Do unto others before they had a chance to do unto you."
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
In my old neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago, it was "Do unto others before they had a chance to do unto you."
My dad said it like this: "Do one to others before they do one to you!"
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
13) A moving screen is not in and of itself a foul, contact must occur for a foul to be called. If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.

Thanks again rainmaker.
Billy, this is good. I think it helps to start off with fan-speak, and it gets the attention of the reader. I like it.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

7) The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a jump ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues.

Question . . .

My understanding of the rule ("highlighted above") is that if the defender and the offensive player are BOTH still in contact with the ball we would have a jump ball; however, if the defender is no longer in contact with the ball and the offensive player comes back to the floor still holding the ball, then we would have a traveling violation on the offensive player. What is the correct interpretation?? Thanks.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 01:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
7) The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a jump ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues.

Question . . .

My understanding of the rule ("highlighted above") is that if the defender and the offensive player are BOTH still in contact with the ball we would have a jump ball; however, if the defender is no longer in contact with the ball and the offensive player comes back to the floor still holding the ball, then we would have a traveling violation on the offensive player. What is the correct interpretation?? Thanks.
Your statement is not necessarily correct. You can have either a travel or a held ball....or...you can also have a player legally return to the floor with the ball without a defender still contacting the ball.

- if the defender touches the ball in the airborne shooter's hands and the shooter now lands on the court---> traveling only if the touch didn't affect the release of the ball or held ball if the touch did affect the release of the ball. Both are judgment calls.
- if a defender touches the ball after the shot has left the shooter's hands, and the shooter now recovers the ball in the air, the shooter can legally land..and dribble, shoot, pass, etc.
- if the defender knocks the ball out of the airborne shooter's hand(s), the shooter can also recover the ball and then legally land with it...and dribble, shoot, etc.

Dem's the different calls.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

"The hand is considered part of the ball when the hand is in contact with the ball. This includes holding, dribbling, passing, or even during a shot attempt. Striking a ball handler or a shooter on that player's hand that is incidental to an attempt to play the ball is not a foul, no matter how loud it sounds or how much it hurts."

where do i find this in the nba rule book?
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 11:58pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle221 View Post

Don't know, don't care

try Officiating | NBA.com
Old Fri Mar 11, 2011, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle221 View Post
"The hand is considered part of the ball when the hand is in contact with the ball. This includes holding, dribbling, passing, or even during a shot attempt. Striking a ball handler or a shooter on that player's hand that is incidental to an attempt to play the ball is not a foul, no matter how loud it sounds or how much it hurts."

Rule 12, B. Personal Fouls,
Section I.

e. Contact which occurs on the hand of the offensive player, while that hand is in contact with the ball, is legal.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Hope I didn't miss this one somewhere is the post....
I put together a list of Top 25 misunderstood rules for my group a few years ago.
My # 1: There is no 3-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts.

This continues to be (in my opinion) the fan favorite call: "3 SECONDS"...when there is no team control.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BillyMac;421915]Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules - Part I

12) If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds. It is a violation for a player to intentionally leave the court for an unauthorized reason.]

Does the same one-foot rule inbounds apply for anyone touching the ball? e.g. if a player is just coming back inbounds or into the frontcourt, does he need just "something in and nothing out" to be legal?
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=rlighten;796873]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules - Part I

12) If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds. It is a violation for a player to intentionally leave the court for an unauthorized reason.]

Does the same one-foot rule inbounds apply for anyone touching the ball? e.g. if a player is just coming back inbounds or into the frontcourt, does he need just "something in and nothing out" to be legal?
A player only has to have one foot in and nothing touching out of bounds to be considered inbounds. Same with a player in the frontcourt in that he's in the frontcourt if he has a foot in the frontcourt and nothing touching the backcourt (exception being a dribbler where the three points rule applies).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Tue Nov 01, 2011 at 03:13pm.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

#10 is until the ball is released for a throw in

Make sure that they are aware that after the ball is released, a defender may break the plane to defend the throw in. However, an offensive player may not break the plane to catch the throw in. It must cross the plane into the court area to be a legal throw in.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 04:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
Make sure that they are aware that after the ball is released, a defender may break the plane to defend the throw in. However, an offensive player may not break the plane to catch the throw in. It must cross the plane into the court area to be a legal throw in.
Good point but I believe that the "List" is already too long. Anybody else in Forum-Land see the need to add this to the "List"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)