The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Am doing a handout sheet for my league members, want to address some misunderstood rules, MAYBE if they read it they won't plead for a traveling call on every rebounded airball... or demand a whistle on an inadvertant foot touch of the ball... or (my favorite) argue that not all technical fouls are 2 shots, some are just 1.

Anyway a while back someone posted a great rundown on minunderstood rules, but I can't seem to find it -- can anyone re-post. I tried a search, but for whatever reason it said the administrator had disabled the search function.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

clarification--

We are a hack Church league, we play High School rules.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...4&pagenumber=1

In google I typed, "site:www.officialforum.com misunderstood rules"
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rotationslim
Am doing a handout sheet for my league members, want to address some misunderstood rules, MAYBE if they read it they won't plead for a traveling call on every rebounded airball... or demand a whistle on an inadvertant foot touch of the ball... or (my favorite) argue that not all technical fouls are 2 shots, some are just 1.

Anyway a while back someone posted a great rundown on minunderstood rules, but I can't seem to find it -- can anyone re-post. I tried a search, but for whatever reason it said the administrator had disabled the search function.
The summary is, "If you've seen it that way on TV, that's probably not how we do it here." Short and sweet.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Consider adding the idea that it is not travel to slide on the floor while holding a loose ball. I am typing quickly and I am sure that the wording needs work!

Rick

958 to go!

Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are irrelevant!

How will I know when it is my turn to be God? Do we all get a turn? Do I have to pass a floor test?

Violence!
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 12:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

The most misunderstood NF rules by coaches and parents are rules 1 - 10.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules
and 2004 Interpretations For High School Players, Coaches and Officials

Player Control VS Blocking Foul- know whether D had established “initial legal guarding position” (2 feet in bounds facing opponent) (he can then move with O, rise vertically or move back) if yes, call it a Player-Control Foul on the O. If the D had not established LGP, call the foul on D. D may turn or duck to absorb contact if has already established LGP. Generally if contact is on O head/shoulders= Player-Control Foul, if contact is on torso or legs= D blocking foul. PCF= no points & no free-throws (penalty is loss of ball- still mark the foul). No free-throws if foul committed by any O player while they have TEAM CONTROL.

Backboard- sides, top & bottom are all in play. The ball cannot pass over the top or touch bracketing.

Moving Screen- is a foul ONLY if contact occurs. If a Blind Screen is set on a stationary D, must be given 1 NORMAL STEP to avoid contact. If D is moving, is allowed 1-2 steps (based on speed).

Air-Balled Shot- shooter can retrieve an air-ball if Ref considers it a shot. Shot release ends
TEAM CONTROL.

Hand is Part of the Ball- the D can always legally contact the O hand if the hand is in contact with the ball. However, it is widely accepted that a foul shall be called on a shot.

3 Seconds in Lane Rule- is intended to not allow an O player to gain an advantage. Refs prefer to use verbal “preventatives”(clear/get out). If no advantage is gained, they will not be quick to call this.

Backcourt Violation- 10 seconds (of continuous team control) to obtain frontcourt status (all 3 points =2 feet & the ball). Ball can always be passed directly into backcourt on a throw-in. If O has ball in frontcourt, and ball is deflected into backcourt (once or several times), the O can only legally recover if the D was LAST to touch it in frontcourt. It is legal to retrieve ball in backcourt after a shot.

Goaltending/ Basket Interference- Cannot touch rim or ball if ON or IN rim. Slapping backboard is not goaltending (may be ignored if playing the ball) unless it vibrates the rim (possibly a T and count the basket). “Pinning” the ball on backboard is legal IF STILL on the way up and NOT in the imaginary cylinder. Hanging on the Rim- is only legal if (A) fouled or (B) to avoid injury to himself or another player. Otherwise=Technical Foul.

Sliding on the Floor- is legal if diving to secure a loose ball. Ok to slide until momentum stops. Once ball is secured on floor- cannot roll or attempt to get up unless dribble has been started- can pass, shoot or call timeout.

Free-Throw Rebounding Spots- 6 spots max (2 for O & 4 for D) (nobody in 4th space). Must wait until ball hits rim. D must be in bottom spot and no standing on block,

Throw-In Spot- thrower has 5 seconds to release ball- must have at least 1 foot ON or OVER the designated spot (3’ wide) (may move backwards) CAN MOVE 1 or BOTH FEET- ball must come directly onto the court. There is no imaginary plane for the O thrower, but the D cannot reach over (1X=delay of game, 2X=T). If D contacts the ball= Automatic T (no warning), if foul= intentional.

Coming Back Inbounds- trying to save ball, must come back at about same spot- can be first to touch ball. The “bat” to save ball from going out of bounds, is considered start of dribble. If secured and another dribble is started, will be considered a violation. Inbounds= SOMETHING IN & NOTHING OUT.

Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules continued

Calling Time-Out- The Coach may be granted a timeout request if his player is holding or dribbling the ball, so long as his players have TEAM CONTROL. A player saving the ball (in the air) can be granted a time-out request only if he has DEFINATE CONTROL.

Closely-Guarded- when D is within 6 feet of O (in possession of ball)(& aggressively guarding the ball) for 5 seconds (continuously). Up to 3 separate 5 second counts could occur (hold/dribble/hold). Count continues even if defenders switch!

Ball Stuck Between Rim & Backboard- is not a violation- go with Alternating Possession Arrow unless caused by inbound thrower, then it is a violation.

Traveling- must have control to start dribble and ball must be released before pivot foot moves. On a pass or shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released.

Palming (Carrying) the Ball- no height limitation on dribble- it’s a violation if while dribbling, the ball comes to rest or hand goes under ball.

Kicking- violation if an INTENTIONAL ACT. It is also illegal to hit the ball with a fist.

Fumble- it is always legal to recover a fumble or muff (even if dribble was terminated).

Technical Foul- will be assessed for profanity, unsporting acts & excessive complaints or abuse. T is 2 shots and then resume at “point of interruption”. 2T’s=EJECTION.

Disconcerting a Free-Throw Shooter- no opponent or bench personnel shall distract the free thrower.

Uniforms- jerseys and short strings must be tucked in and no player may participate while wearing jewelry or anything that might be deemed to cause an injury.

Elastic Clause- referee can make decisions on anything not specifically covered by the rules!

Flopping- do it and you could hurt your team. By rule, this is a Technical Foul.

To recap:
Coaches- are hired to instruct- not criticize. Players- are chosen to compete and hustle in a “sportsmanlike manner”- not question the Officials calls. Officials- are assigned to make judgment calls and are not required to explain them. Though, they may (& should) if approached in a respectful manner.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Technical Foul- will be assessed for profanity, unsporting acts & excessive complaints or abuse. T is 2 shots and then resume at “point of interruption”. 2T’s=EJECTION.
If your talking federation, shouldn't it be resume at division line across from the table with the team who shot the FT's getting the ball fro throw in?
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of differences/clarifications for NFHS rules.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules
and 2004 Interpretations For High School Players, Coaches and Officials

Player Control VS Blocking Foul- know whether D had established “initial legal guarding position” (2 feet in bounds facing opponent) (he can then move with O, rise vertically or move back) if yes, call it a Player-Control Foul on the O. If the D had not established LGP, call the foul on D. D may turn or duck to absorb contact if has already established LGP. Generally if contact is on O head/shoulders= Player-Control Foul, if contact is on torso or legs= D blocking foul. PCF= no points & no free-throws (penalty is loss of ball- still mark the foul). No free-throws if foul committed by any O player while they have TEAM CONTROL.
*** Not true for NFHS

Quote:
Backcourt Violation- 10 seconds (of continuous team control) to obtain frontcourt status (all 3 points =2 feet & the ball). Ball can always be passed directly into backcourt on a throw-in. If O has ball in frontcourt, and ball is deflected into backcourt (once or several times), the O can only legally recover if the D was LAST to touch it in frontcourt. It is legal to retrieve ball in backcourt after a shot.
*** comment refers to a player dibbling. A pass could come from back court and bounce in front court - ending the 10 second count.

Quote:
*** Not in NFHS. All throw-ins following a T are at the division line and by the opponent of the team to last receive the T. If the there are Ts by opponents and they offset, use the AP arrow to determine who inbounds the ball at the division line.

Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Consider adding the idea that it is not travel to slide on the floor while holding a loose ball. I am typing quickly and I am sure that the wording needs work!

Rick

958 to go!

How will I know when it is my turn to be God? Do we all get a turn? Do I have to pass a floor test?

Violence!
Rick --

Feeling a little giddy today?!?
Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Rick

958 to go!

Violence!
Rick --

LOL!

That was my first thought too.

Maybe he enjoyed the office Christmas holidays for-no-damn-reason-at-all party a bit to much.

Old Thu Dec 16, 2004, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a little, or I might just be suffering from "signature envy"! Have I committed an unsporting foul?

Rick
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Perhaps a little, or I might just be suffering from "signature envy"! Have I committed an unsporting foul?

Rick
[/QUOTE]

Not at all! I'm going to nominate you for a Slappy Award. Although I never seem to remember exactly which category of posts is covered, so you may not fit in quite.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Rick

Not at all! I'm going to nominate you for a Slappy Award. Although I never seem to remember exactly which category of posts is covered, so you may not fit in quite.
[/QUOTE]Slappy's are awarded for the best, unique and funniest technical fouls that are handed out. The award is named after it's greatest practitioner- our very own Dan-ref, aka Slappy Dan.

Just a little history for the newbies. Tomorrow we'll tell you the story of how the "Chuckie" came into being.......

Yup, this is what the Chuckiestatuette looks like, folks!
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

JR, is it a valuable lesson full of informative thoughts? Information that will make us better officials? If so, I am game, since my motivation for checking this forum is to become a better official.