The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt Violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/36222-backcourt-violation.html)

HawkeyeCubP Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:17pm

Backcourt Violation?

A1, in frontcourt, throws ball to A2, who has one foot in front court, one foot in backcourt, jumps up with both feet leaving floor at same time and catches ball. Violation?

Jurassic Referee Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:23pm

Yes.<i></i>

BktBallRef Wed Jul 04, 2007 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
A1, in frontcourt, throws ball to A2, who has one foot in front court, one foot in backcourt, jumps up with both feet leaving floor at same time and catches ball. Violation?

A2 is in the BC until he is touching the FC and is no longer touching the BC.

Since he jumped with both feet, he did not meet this requirement.

It's similiar to a situation where he would have been OOB. He's not inbounds until he's touching inbounds and no longer touching OOB.

HawkeyeCubP Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:08am

Thank you.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:35pm

You're welcome.

Adam Thu Jul 05, 2007 01:19pm

What if the half-court line happens to be the the line between time zones, with the front court in Central Time and the backcourt in Mountain Time?

Nevadaref Thu Jul 05, 2007 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
What if the half-court line happens to be the the line between time zones, with the front court in Central Time and the backcourt in Mountain Time?

Then it becomes a time zone violation, instead of a time line violation. ;)

Mark Padgett Thu Jul 05, 2007 01:50pm

Do I need to remind everyone of the oft-mentioned situation where you are calling a game on the deck of an ocean liner and the ship crosses the International Date Line (and it is suddenly yesterday) while you are in the middle of a ten-second backcourt count? :eek:

FrankHtown Fri Jul 06, 2007 08:00am

Ok...I'm confused. If a player is straddling the division line, e.i. one foot in the back court and one foot in the front court, the player is still considered in the backcourt, correct?

Now, if we take the premise that you are where you are when you leave the floor (e.g. behind the three point line or catching the ball in the air going from backcourt to front court...etc) why is the player receiving the pass in this thread not considered having backcourt status?

Does his status change in mid air?

SmokeEater Fri Jul 06, 2007 08:35am

I think you need to re-read the responses to the original post Frank. Then you will be able to answer your own question.

bob jenkins Fri Jul 06, 2007 08:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Ok...I'm confused. If a player is straddling the division line, e.i. one foot in the back court and one foot in the front court, the player is still considered in the backcourt, correct?

Now, if we take the premise that you are where you are when you leave the floor (e.g. behind the three point line or catching the ball in the air going from backcourt to front court...etc) why is the player receiving the pass in this thread not considered having backcourt status?

Does his status change in mid air?

All your assertions and conclusions are correct. The player is in the BC.

Maybe you misread the OP: "A1, in frontcourt, throws ball to A2"

FrankHtown Fri Jul 06, 2007 08:57am

OK...so I didn't do so well on my SAT reading comprehension :D

JugglingReferee Fri Jul 06, 2007 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP

rainmaker says "You are where you were until you get where you're going." (Juulie - can I quote you on that?)

A2 was in the BC because one part of him/her was in the BC. When s/he jumps, s/he is still in the BC. At A2's touching, it is a violation.

JugglingReferee Fri Jul 06, 2007 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Do I need to remind everyone of the oft-mentioned situation where you are calling a game on the deck of an ocean liner and the ship crosses the International Date Line (and it is suddenly yesterday) while you are in the middle of a ten-second backcourt count? :eek:

Quiz time:

What is the southern most state?

What is the northern most state?

What is the westernly most state?

What is the easternly most state?

CoachP Fri Jul 06, 2007 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Quiz time:

What is the southern most state?

What is the northern most state?

What is the westernly most state?