The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Please Help...

I am starting to get back into my rule books, case books, etc. I know that Louisiana's test is all together different than everyone else's test but would anyone have any old test or tests that they would be willing to share with me. I want to see where I stand. This year will be my first year having to take the test and I am a bit nervious.

--------

Another thing.....

Why can't the National Fed step in and tell Louisiana that they have to follow the same 3 man mechanics that everyone else follows? This makes things hard. You work it they way they want you to and then when you go to a pick up camp you look pretty stupid out on the court not knowing what to do....

my e-mail address : brandan89 at bellsouth.net
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandan89
Why can't the National Fed step in and tell Louisiana that they have to follow the same 3 man mechanics that everyone else follows? This makes things hard. You work it they way they want you to and then when you go to a pick up camp you look pretty stupid out on the court not knowing what to do....
The NFHS doesn't make state associations do anything. They have no authority to.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 07:54pm

Confused

Quote:
I am starting to get back into my rule books, case books, etc. I know that Louisiana's test is all together different than everyone else's test but would anyone have any old test or tests that they would be willing to share with me. I want to see where I stand. This year will be my first year having to take the test and I am a bit nervious.
How is LA. any different from anyone else when it comes to the test? Please give an example.

Quote:
Newsflash Brandan89, all associations have you do it different. Let's just talk about DI. If you want to wrk for a DI association, you must learn how to do it there way. They are all different. Adapt is the word you need to learn. If LA. wants you to do it a certain way, well, while in LA I'm doing it their way. If in Texas, I will do it the way Texas wants it done. This is the way the successful officials do it.

Last, some advice. Don't go against your assigner. That be like shooting self in foot with shotgun. Learn to adapt and do it the way they want you to do it.

Good Luck!
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
How is LA. any different from anyone else when it comes to the test? Please give an example.

Newsflash Brandan89, all associations have you do it different. Let's just talk about DI. If you want to wrk for a DI association, you must learn how to do it there way. They are all different. Adapt is the word you need to learn. If LA. wants you to do it a certain way, well, while in LA I'm doing it their way. If in Texas, I will do it the way Texas wants it done. This is the way the successful officials do it.

Last, some advice. Don't go against your assigner. That be like shooting self in foot with shotgun. Learn to adapt and do it the way they want you to do it.

Good Luck!
Who said I was against my assigner??? I was just asking a simple question.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 05:06am

Quote:
Who said I was against my assigner??? I was just asking a simple question.
No, you asked a loaded question. Provide us some examples if LA tests is different from anybody else's. We all have been there where we did not know the ruleset or mechanics. This is not the fault of LA or the association. I bet you that D1 basketball is the same in LA as it is in California. So when you get over yourself, tell us what the real problem is and we might be able to help you.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your officiating career!
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
No, you asked a loaded question. Provide us some examples if LA tests is different from anybody else's. We all have been there where we did not know the ruleset or mechanics. This is not the fault of LA or the association. I bet you that D1 basketball is the same in LA as it is in California. So when you get over yourself, tell us what the real problem is and we might be able to help you.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your officiating career!
Brandan, I hope you know enough to ignore this ridiculous and pointless piece of drivel. OS clearly has no idea how to read for comprehension, and doesn't have a clue as to what you're asking.

I'm e-mailing you privately about sending some past tests, with book references, so that you can study for yours.

The best thing to do is to look at a question, give it your best shot as to the answer, and then search the book to see if you can find the correct answer. Often, you'll find exact wording transfer from the book to the test. Then, if you really can't find what you're looking for in the book, look at the references paper, to find the correct rules reference. After all that, if you really can't get happy about the correct reference, you can ask here on the forum for further enlightenment and understanding. If you can get through 5-10 questions per day, by the time you take your test in the fall, you'll be an ace!

PS No one does 3-man mechanics anymore. The latest trend is 3-whistle or 3-person, and it's catching on like wildfire. Try it, you'll like it!
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Just wodering Juulie, have you sent that e-mail??

[email protected] or
[email protected]

THANKS..
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Just out of curiosity, when does your association give its test this year? Ours is Oct 1. It is early this year it is normally Oct 31.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

B,
Glad to see you posting again. Listen to Juulie and ignore Old School. How does LA do things differently... not that it's a great surprise...having gone to college in LA everything about the state is unique. What have you been up to anyway? Fill us in on how you are. RR
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
B,
Glad to see you posting again. Listen to Juulie and ignore Old School. How does LA do things differently... not that it's a great surprise...having gone to college in LA everything about the state is unique. What have you been up to anyway? Fill us in on how you are. RR
Believe me, if I let simple minded people get to me then I WOULD NOT be a referee. Haha

Anyways, I am doing just fine, I just moved out of my moms house and I am now living on my own. It has both its goods and its bads. Goods-Freedom, Bads-Bills.

Louisiana does not do the "flex" like other states do when using 3-whistle in a game.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 09:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Quote:
Anyways, I am doing just fine, I just moved out of my moms house and I am now living on my own. It has both its goods and its bads. Goods-Freedom, Bads-Bills.
You forgot this "bad" - laundry.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We all have been there where we did not know the ruleset or mechanics.
This is a given with you.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 10:53am
Ch1town

Quote:

http://www.area9officials.org/

Click on past tests for review
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
This is a given with you.
Are you talking to me?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 08:57pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Are you talking to me?
No, Brandon. Dblref was alluding to Old School, our village idiot.