The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
No, Brandon. Dblref was alluding to Old School, our village idiot.
Brandon: Scrappy is right. I was refering to OS. I obviously left off part of the quote showing who I was quoting when I posted. Too early on a Monday morning.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

B,
Are your tests in LA open book or closed? Do you take them at home online or do you go somewhere and take it there with a time limit? Just curious? RR
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
B,
Are your tests in LA open book or closed? Do you take them at home online or do you go somewhere and take it there with a time limit? Just curious? RR
For me, I have to travel about 1 hour and 20 minutes to take it and it is closed book. Our director of officials (the one who wont let us do the flex in 3 whistle) creates the test for us to take.

This year we are starting really early. Usually we test Oct 31, this year it will be Oct 1 for what my assign. sec told me.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Dude, that is different! Just out of curiosity, when you say won't let you do the flex, what exactly do you mean? I think I'm used to a different terminology. RR
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, Brandon. Dblref was alluding to Old School, our village idiot.
When did OS get promoted to village idiot?
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 11:59pm
Huck Finn

I think Louisiana might be similar to Mississippi. There are two major differences.
1. The C is always across from the table...always.
2. The calling official goes to the C.
Let that sink in for a while and think of all the situations you can get into where this is a bad thing.

Play dictates the need for the Lead to move across the paint. The C, in a lot of cases, doesn't know enough to back out and the Trail is too scared to move down. Why? Because when the ball changes possession the Lead must move back to table side to become new trail, the C is in the Cadillac position and can chill and the old Trail - who would normally now be the C - is now the new Lead.

At least with the NCAA change we will not have to adapt to going across from the table any more on foul calls.

This is what happens in reality. IF (If) we try to do these mechanics in the girls varsity game, we likely revert to the flex for the boys game because the speed of the game amplifies how bad this system is. It just isn't good for the game.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 07:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Play dictates the need for the Lead to move across the paint. The C, in a lot of cases, doesn't know enough to back out and the Trail is too scared to move down. Why? Because when the ball changes possession the Lead must move back to table side to become new trail, the C is in the Cadillac position and can chill and the old Trail - who would normally now be the C - is now the new Lead.
I realize this is different from the "flex" in NFHS and NCAA, but what's so bad about it really? As long as the Lead comes ballside when necessary and goes back when the ball transitions, is it that big a deal if the C slides 8 feet toward the division line? The one obvious advantage of that system is that there are no missed rotations -- because there are no rotations. You never end up with 2 Leads; or worse, no Leads.

Quote:
At least with the NCAA change we will not have to adapt to going across from the table any more on foul calls.
I was led to believe that the NCAA is going back to having the calling official go opposite the table. I was told that the supervisors think there's way too much conversation after foul calls. I could be wrong, but I think it's coming.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 07:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I was led to believe that the NCAA is going back to having the calling official go opposite the table. I was told that the supervisors think there's way too much b!tching after foul calls. I could be wrong, but I think it's coming.
Fixed it for ya.......
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 08:10am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Fixed it for ya.......
Nope. You missed it. The problem is not the b!tching. The problem is officials who feel compelled to carry on a conversation, instead of giving an explanation and then ending the discussion. The supervisors are not concerned about the coaches, according to what I've been told; they're displeased with the officials.

Granted, I've heard this 14th-hand. But I think my "source" is probably right.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 08:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Nope. You missed it. The problem is not the b!tching. The problem is officials who feel compelled to carry on a conversation, instead of giving an explanation and then ending the discussion. The supervisors are not concerned about the coaches, according to what I've been told; they're displeased with the officials.
Are you serious? Do you really mean that some conference officials are ignoring direct requests from their supervisors to STFU a little? And instead of the supervisors confronting their problem and getting their officials to tone down their rhetoric a l'il bit, they're gonna change mechanics(again) instead?

Whatever happened to all of the idealistic justification when they implemented the calling official staying table-side? You know...the goal of increased and better communication resulting in coaches and officials running hand-in-hand together through a flower-strewn meadow? That's all gonna be dead now?

Methinks it might be a management problem instead of a mechanics problem.

JMHO.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 09:12am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
instead of the supervisors confronting their problem and getting their officials to tone down their rhetoric a l'il bit, they're gonna change mechanics(again) instead?
I'm just telling you what I've been told. Don't shoot the messenger.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 09:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm just telling you what I've been told. Don't shoot the messenger.
Gee, I'd never do sumthin' like that.....

What are your thoughts though about what you've been told? Is it really a mechanics problem or is it supervisors being afraid to tell their big dawgs what to do? I'm assuming that their little dawgs( new members on staff, etc.) would listen to 'em with the appropriate respect and awe.

Of course though, how do you really explain to someone just exactly when their coach/official conversation is being dragged out too long?