The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 12:08pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Don't work this kid's AAU games

You think you got it bad now? 12-year-olds whose parents think your call just cost their kid a D1 scholarship. Well, get a load of this:

Quote:
Hello, Apocalypse.

A 14-year committing to play college basketball ... in 5 years. This isn't even the first 14-year old Tim Floyd has reeled in during the last year.

Ryan Boatwright, a speedy 5-foot-10, 145-pound rising freshman point guard from Illinois who has yet to make a decision on where he's headed for high school (he's choosing between East Aurora High and West Aurora High), accepted Floyd's scholarship offer while at USC's camp this past weekend

"They were the first one to show interest in Ryan," said Boatwright's father, Mike. "A lot of people have said Ryan isn't that good, but he went to USC's camp and played well."
Unfortunately, he won't even get to play with OJ Mayo.

Last edited by Scrapper1; Thu Jun 21, 2007 at 12:18pm.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I don't have to worry about "losing a scholarship" for a kid. I never work those kid's games!!
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

It's interesting, though. At a camp this weekend, I had a game where both teams had a kid who was playing to get seen by the coach of the D1 college where the camp was held. Both coaches said to me, the standard, "Well, you know #11 is just trying to get seen. Please take it easy on him." My partner would say, "A kid that fouls out of any game I'm reffing, isn't ready for college, coach."

Each kid was very tall, and of course, they ended up against each other in the post. I was interested in my own thinking process as I was working. I'd start to call a foul, and then hesitate. Neither coach complained too much, so I suppose we struck the right balance.

But I'm sure I would have called more if the coaches hadn't said those things before the game. I also don't think either of them was ready for college, although of course they still have a year more of hs. Both were pretty rough on defense, and just not polished in their ball-handling. But if they don't get into that school, it won't be because of me. But is that a good thing?
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
It's interesting, though. At a camp this weekend, I had a game where both teams had a kid who was playing to get seen by the coach of the D1 college where the camp was held. Both coaches said to me, the standard, "Well, you know #11 is just trying to get seen. Please take it easy on him." My partner would say, "A kid that fouls out of any game I'm reffing, isn't ready for college, coach."

Each kid was very tall, and of course, they ended up against each other in the post. I was interested in my own thinking process as I was working. I'd start to call a foul, and then hesitate. Neither coach complained too much, so I suppose we struck the right balance.

But I'm sure I would have called more if the coaches hadn't said those things before the game. I also don't think either of them was ready for college, although of course they still have a year more of hs. Both were pretty rough on defense, and just not polished in their ball-handling. But if they don't get into that school, it won't be because of me. But is that a good thing?
Is what a good thing?

I would expect any coach who takes the trouble to come see a kid play would want to know how he reacts to a wide range of situations, not just while he's getting pampered by the coach, the officials and his team mates. I've worked ncaa sanctioned camps & tournaments and have never had anyone tell me to take it easy on any player because he's getting looked at. Hell, they are *all* getting looked at during these things by *someone* at some point. But I have told players to be smart, shut up and play the game because coach so-and-so is watching him and he's about to screw up his big chance.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 01:13pm

Somebody needs to tell daddy that he's nuts. You can't offer an eight grader.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Is what a good thing?

I would expect any coach who takes the trouble to come see a kid play would want to know how he reacts to a wide range of situations, not just while he's getting pampered by the coach, the officials and his team mates. I've worked ncaa sanctioned camps & tournaments and have never had anyone tell me to take it easy on any player because he's getting looked at. Hell, they are *all* getting looked at during these things by *someone* at some point. But I have told players to be smart, shut up and play the game because coach so-and-so is watching him and he's about to screw up his big chance.
You're right, of course. What I meant was that I'm not sure it's a good thing that I didn't give the D1 coach a chance to see how the kid reacted to getting called for some of his cheap shoves and borderline ball-handling. On the other hand, even their good stuff wasn't really remarkable, and I don't expect either one of them is likely to get "picked up". And at least they can't say it's because I called it too tightly.

Also, I'm working on not blowing so many fouls, and I really didn't pass on any of the OMG stuff. And as I said, neither of the coaches complained (about that one issue) much. Thus the question. Was it a good thing or a bad thing that I let the coach get in my head a little? Did I end up making the right no-calls, but for the wrong reasons?
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 03:11pm
MABO Member

If I come away from a game second guessing myself then I may not have done the best I could have. Perhaps the coaches comments did influence your call making process and you want some back. If you can walk away and feel ok about the game then you did well. I see a little of both in your post so live and learn.
An example I have is a partner came up to me and told me that the best player on Team A had 4 fouls and we better make darn sure his 5th is well earned. I found myself changing the way I was making my calls after that and the game seemed to get a little out of hand (rough play) while I waited for this kid to hack his way out of the game. Anyway once I shook my head and got rid of the kid the game finished without incident. I walked away wishing I had not changed my focus and learned a lesson, NO player is protected from fouling out, call the game consistant and you have no problems.

Don't take my comments too literal, I was passing on calls that were fouls but not hard fouls and I know that was wrong.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 03:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Also, I'm working on not blowing so many fouls...
Me too......
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, I'm working on not blowing so many fouls...
That is something I need to work on as well. My best of intentions on getting better in that area have been hampered by the level of competition in the select tournaments I have called this summer. Lately I seem to get either 11th/12th grade or 5th grade. I feel like I am letting too much go when calling the 5th graders and blowing too much in the other. Maybe that means I am doing OK

I am a little concerned about the camp I will be attending this weekend. Hopefully I can watch some action near the evaluators and get a feel for what they think should be called before I have to step on the floor.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 04:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why work any AAU? If the AAU is not associated with a camp, I will pass.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Duck
That is something I need to work on as well. My best of intentions on getting better in that area have been hampered by the level of competition in the select tournaments I have called this summer. Lately I seem to get either 11th/12th grade or 5th grade. I feel like I am letting too much go when calling the 5th graders and blowing too much in the other. Maybe that means I am doing OK
Yup, adjusting from level to level is very difficult, and my instincts are slow to learn. That's exactly where I'm at, so to speak. Sitting with the evals before your own games will help you, and I"ve been trying to do that, too. The other thing I tried this weekend, and I think it helped is that I said, "Okay, I'm gonna go to the extreme of calling too little, instead of too much" I'm thinking pendulum here. Clinicians said we did a great job of not getting pissy in that championship game and another that I did at the same level. SO maybe I'm starting to get the hang of it. Now I go back to 5th grade tomorrow. I already feel like I'm getting whiplash.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 06:12pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
You think you got it bad now? 12-year-olds whose parents think your call just cost their kid a D1 scholarship. Well, get a load of this:

Unfortunately, he won't even get to play with OJ Mayo.

As the father of two boys' (senior and freshmen in H.S. this coming school year) who will play Div. III sports when they matriculate to college, I can understand a parent wanting to assure his child's college education as early as possible but this is ridculus. Who is to say that Floyd will even be at USC when this kid graduates, plus the kid can't sign any earlier that his senior year in H.S. This is just plain nuts.

But I am not suprised. The first AAU National Championship Tournament I officiated was the 1993 Girls' 12U and one could not turn around without falling over a member of a Div. I coaching staff member. Remember, 12U means that they just completed sixth grade for crying out loud.

I am done ranting (foaming at the mouth as some esteemed members of the Forum would say).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 06:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
SO maybe I'm starting to get the hang of it. Now I go back to 5th grade tomorrow. I already feel like I'm getting whiplash.
Juulie - there's a girls HS camp near me the middle of next week. The head coach will call me late this weekend to discuss the ref situation. Maybe, if you're available, we might get to work together a few times. I'll let you know. Any other Portland area refs, let me know if you're interested.

[email protected]
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Any other Portland area refs, let me know if you're interested.
I'll fly out if it means we get to do a 3-person crew together!
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 08:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I'll fly out if it means we get to do a 3-person crew together!

Gee - a 3-way with Juulie and Dexter!!! All we need to make it perfect is Diebler! In fact, he could be the referee!!