The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

A current thread asks how many games a day is to much. I want to know how many games a week is to much?

College Ball - 1 DH during the week and a weekend series(3 or 4 games depending on the conference) is just right for us. Starts 1st of March ends 1st of May.

Summer ball - 1 Weekday DH and a weekend tournament (Fri-Sun 7 games average) is good. Further in the summer we will only work about 5 weeks. Starts next week.

Fall Ball - 5 Weekends of Tournaments. Starts around Labor Day.

Winter months are reserved for Coaching my basketball team.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

I've really reduced my games from previous years. I found myself trying to do too much....

Full-time job; family; keeping up with household chores; umpiring college; high school; spring ASA; summer ASA; fall ASA....WOW, I hadn't gone fishing or camping this year. What happened?

So, the guidelines I set for myself 2 years ago:

1. Spring NCAA tourney (I take a week of vacation to work 15 games in 5 days to get ready for the season)

2. College - 2 DH a month (2 1/2 month season)

3. High School - 3 games per week

4. Spring ASA....no games until HS season is over

5. Summer ASA....3 weekends in June & July (limit to one day unless a very high level Tourney)

6. Fall ASA....no games

With this my yard still looks good and I get my canoe out on a regular basis on the local lakes & rivers for some fishing.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Spring NCAA Tournament.....I'm guessing you work the Rebel Games?
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Games Per Week

Between Baseball and Fastpitch Softball I average about eighteen games per week. The majority of the games are Fastpitch tournament games on weekends.

Michael
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
A normal week

3 baseball
1 softball
coach 2 baseball games
1 baseball practice
play 2 softball games

My wife misses me lol
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

I have a weird game schedule:

Winter (October to Early March) Indoor Season: usually 3 games during the week on one night, then a weekend tournament of about 12 games.

Spring (March to May): College--my principal lets me out two days a week to do college games, so I do 2 DH during the week. HS--I'll do the remaining nights, so about 5 games.

Summer (June, July, August): HS Summer ball/ASA league and travel ball--average 2 DH during week, 2 single games, then 7-10 games on a weekend.

Fall (September): HS Fall league--instructional--DH on Sundays. I do football every night during the week and Saturday.

Only time I'm not doing softball is first two weeks in October.

Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

During the college season, it's usually 2 & sometimes 3 double headers a week and another 3 high school games. In the summer, I've often got games 4 nights a week and another 4 a day on the weekend.

I've cut back some too - used to work well over 300 games a year. Last year, I was around 230 games and will probably stay with that number for a while.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 07:04am
In Memoriam

I try to work one game every couple weeks.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I try to work one game every couple weeks.
A couple or three non-time limit games (HS) per week, or 4-6 time-limit games (translated into 2-3 nights, since the time limit games are 65 min league double headers). This is comfortable for me.

I've done league double headers 4 nights in the same week, but that starts to get tiring. (Talking JO fastpitch.)

Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Mid March to End of May - Monday-Friday 1 high school varsity softball game and 1 youth game afterward. Saturday - Varsity softball double header with 1-2 youth games following. Sunday 2 or 3 travel level youth games. Works out to about 14 to 20 games/week.

End of May-End of August - Monday-Thursday 1 or 2 travel level youth games (12 to 18 yo's) per night. Friday Tournament opening night double header. Saturday and Sunday at tourament 5-7 games per day. Works out 14 to 24 games per week.

Football season - JV game Monday, Freshman game Thursday, soph or varsity game on Friday. 5 to 6 youth games on Saturday and Sunday.

Fall high shool volleyball- Tuesday and Wedneday.

Basketball Seaon - 1 to 2 games per night, between 2 and 6 games on Saturday and 4 to 8 games on Sunday.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA