The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 01:57pm
M.A.S.H.

You Call It...

It's been a while since I've been on here as I've been on my summer retreat away from the forum. Anyways, what would you do if this happened to you?

Coach tries to move you (both hands on you, applying force) to another spot so they can coach?

Whack or Flagrant Whack?
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
It's been a while since I've been on here as I've been on my summer retreat away from the forum. Anyways, what would you do if this happened to you?

Coach tries to move you (both hands on you, applying force) to another spot so they can coach?

Whack or Flagrant Whack?

FLAGRANT.....
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

WTF!!!!!! Screw that - tell him to coach at the locker room cause he sure ain't coaching on my court!!!!
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:08pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I think I would say very firmly and loudly, "Hands off, Coach!" If he then continued to push, I'd whack.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:20pm
In Memoriam

Gotta be an AAU coach.....
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Whack or Flagrant Whack?
Male or female coach? Er,...anyway...

Tanner! Where the heck have you been?

What context are we talking about here? Summer league? What type of room does the coach actually have to stand or move around? Had there been any chirping or incidents prior to this? Did the coach do this with a smile on their face, or were they serious?

I'm not sure it's an automatic T if there is some context of kidding around, or perhaps the game and/or league are rather loosely played and there had been no other incidents with this coach. I have seen a vertically-challenged coach stand on a chair at a camp game once so they could see over the official. It got a few chuckles out of the crew, and there were no other problems with that coach or team. However, if the coach had gotten in a few comments prior to this, or you have some history with this coach (prior games with problems), then I would have no problem with at least a T.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I have seen a vertically-challenged coach stand on a chair at a camp game once so they could see over the official.
Maybe Chuck or Rocky can take chairs out on the floor to stand on when they're officiating too.

Just a thought.....

Or maybe they can get something like that mechanical thingy in the Wild, Wild West movie. Can't you see Rocky or the Chuckster at the the controls of this just a-motoring down the court?

Could do wonders for their court vision.....
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:39pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Gotta be an AAU coach.....
I don't subject myself to that during the summer!

Quote:
Male or female coach? Er,...anyway...

Tanner! Where the heck have you been?

What context are we talking about here? Summer league? What type of room does the coach actually have to stand or move around? Had there been any chirping or incidents prior to this? Did the coach do this with a smile on their face, or were they serious?

I'm not sure it's an automatic T if there is some context of kidding around, or perhaps the game and/or league are rather loosely played and there had been no other incidents with this coach. I have seen a vertically-challenged coach stand on a chair at a camp game once so they could see over the official. It got a few chuckles out of the crew, and there were no other problems with that coach or team. However, if the coach had gotten in a few comments prior to this, or you have some history with this coach (prior games with problems), then I would have no problem with at least a T.
Nah, I've been hiding...very well, I might add! No summer league...somewhat happened during the end of my season a few months ago. I didn't do anything, but reflecting back I probably should have sent him packing. The context certainly wasn't of the kidding type, he's just the type that thinks he can bully me around, etc. I would say the history is...see the latter of the previous sentence. But whatever...just reviewing my season.

All is well on my end, Jim. I moved up to your city on Memorial Day but haven't fully got everything set up yet. Just trying to enjoy my summer, I am working 1 of my 2 baseball games tonight. Basically decided to take the summer off.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe Chuck or Rocky can take chairs out on the floor to stand on when they're officiating too.

Just a thought.....

Or maybe they can get something like that mechanical thingy in the Wild, Wild West movie. Can't you see Rocky or the Chuckster at the the controls of this just a-motoring down the court?

Could do wonders for their court vision.....
Chuck and Rocky, I want you to notice how I studiously avoided making any comments about vertically-challenged referees. I could've made some comment about how a normal-sized coach wouldn't need to stand on a chair if Rocky was on the crew. I could've easily said something about how a coach could set his water bottle on Chuck's head. It would be a piece of cake to add to JR's comments, like making sure the chairs Rocky and Chuck used had wheels on them, so they could get up and down the court quicker.

But, no, I avoided those easy comments. So you can direct any of your wrath directly at Jurassic and his stone bowels. Or was it bowls?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

If we're talking truly just trying to get you to move, I'd start with a "let's keep our hands to ourselves." After that, another instance of contact will result in a technical, probably flagrant.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't subject myself to that during the summer!

Nah, I've been hiding...very well, I might add! No summer league...somewhat happened during the end of my season a few months ago. I didn't do anything, but reflecting back I probably should have sent him packing. The context certainly wasn't of the kidding type, he's just the type that thinks he can bully me around, etc. I would say the history is...see the latter of the previous sentence. But whatever...just reviewing my season.

All is well on my end, Jim. I moved up to your city on Memorial Day but haven't fully got everything set up yet. Just trying to enjoy my summer, I am working 1 of my 2 baseball games tonight. Basically decided to take the summer off.
Go ahead, enjoy the summer off while the rest of us toil away in the real world.

In the context of a regular-season HS game, and given past history with this coach, I would have no problem with an ejection. There's no justification for the touching, other than to intimidate.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
But, no, I avoided those easy comments. So you can direct any of your wrath directly at Jurassic and his stone bowels. Or was it bowls?
Balls.

Remember Roberto Duran? Hands of Stone? Manos de Piedra?

Meet the Woodster....Huevos de Piedra!!
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Balls.

Remember Roberto Duran? Hands of Stone? Manos de Piedra?

Meet the Woodster....Huevos de Piedra!!
Stone balls?

You mean they're hard, dry, and lifeless? And how would Juulie know???

Now I'm mad at Padgett - he's obviously been sharing his meds with only part of the class.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Stone balls?

You mean they're hard, dry, and lifeless? And how would Juulie know???

Now I'm mad at Padgett - he's obviously been sharing his meds with only part of the class.
Roberto Duran?

Maybe JR really meant to say "Huevos no mas".
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 03:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

This would not be an automatic with me. It would depend on my relationship with the coach and how insistent a coach was about me moving. I would not rule out a T, but it likely would not be my first choice.

I did have a coach ask me to move one time and I just told him no and said to him, "If you want to see, you need to move. I am where I am supposed to be."

Peace