The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Same game, different senario Team A is ready to shoot a one and one. The coach for team a is frustrated with one of his players and decided to call a time out, as the player is ready to shoot the official blows his whistle and grants the time out...

The question is how would you handle this? would you handle it differently if team B called the time out?
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Team A can request TO anytime up until the ball is released.

Once A1 has the ball at his disposal, any request by B should be ignored.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 05:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Talkinhoopsy'all
Same game, different senario Team A is ready to shoot a one and one. The coach for team a is frustrated with one of his players and decided to call a time out, as the player is ready to shoot the official blows his whistle and grants the time out...

The question is how would you handle this? would you handle it differently if team B called the time out?
Don't they teach you up in the big city of Seattle that coaches and/or teams can never call timeout? Only the officials can call timeout. Head coaches and players can only request timeout.

There is a specific reason for using this terminology.

Ron Pilo, call this guy and explain it to him. He seems to be in your backyard. Thanks.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Mark I'm a little surprised at your response, don't you little city guys know that the rule book is not hard cover, and who is Ron Pilo? or better yet why is it necessary to talk to him.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 03:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Talkinhoopsy'all
Mark I'm a little surprised at your response, don't you little city guys know that the rule book is not hard cover, and who is Ron Pilo? or better yet why is it necessary to talk to him.
I don't understand your "hard cover" reference at all. As to who Ron Pilo is - he is a member of the officials association in Seattle that provides officials for women's games and I was just suggesting he speak with you about recruitment. It was a compliment.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I don't understand your "hard cover" reference at all.
Neither did I.

Quote:
As to who Ron Pilo is - he is a member of the officials association in Seattle that provides officials for women's games and I was just suggesting he speak with you about recruitment. It was a compliment.
Yeah, right.

Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Gimme a 30?

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Can someone clarify...I understand that B cant call a Timeout once the ball is at the disposal of the shooter which I interpret once the ball leaves my hands (Correct?). As for A, can they call a Timeout while the ball is at the disposal of the shooter? Example....A1 is at the line and has the ball thru 8 of the 10 sec count... A's coach realizes that A1 may violate...can A1 or A's coach call a time out?

This could also be useful as a strategy to give their team a breather without using a full time out....Say A is on the line...wait 9 secs....call a 30....regroup....take 9 more secs and shoot.

NF rules if you please.

Thanks

Larks - Veteran In Training
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
"I" am Ron Pilo, Basketball Official Extrodinare.

Actually Mark is being funny as usual. It's all about the term "call". A coach of player can never "call" a timeout, they can only "request" at timeout. It is the officials responsibility to recognize that request evaluate the situation and "call" the timeout.

I sure hope that clears it up for Y'all.

BTW TalkinHoopsY'all what group are you with?

PNBOA?

If you were with the SOWB you would KNOW who I am?

So to answer your original question. If A is shooting, your grant the timeout. If B is shooting and has the ball you ignore the request.

[Edited by Ron Pilo on Jan 3rd, 2002 at 09:33 AM]
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

a player with the ball for a FT - Any player on the court or the coach of the same team(Women's Asst. coach) may request the TO, even if 9.999 sec. have elapsed. I may need help on this one but i believe it is when the player at the FT line has the ball not when it leaves the hands of the official.

[Edited by Bart Tyson on Jan 3rd, 2002 at 09:38 AM]
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
a player with the ball for a FT - Any player on the court or the coach of the same team(Women's Asst. coach) may request the TO, even if 9.999 sec. have elapsed. I may need help on this one but i believe it is when the player at the FT line has the ball not when it leaves the hands of the official.
I'm not sure what you're saying but my first reply still applies.

If the ball is bounced to A1, we do not consider the ball to be at his disposal until he catches the bounced ball.

Do you allow asst. coaches to request TO? By rule, only the head coach can request TO. (NF 10-5-1a)

Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

In women's NCAA, any coach can request a timeout. In men's, only the head coach may request one. (Well, technically, anyone may request a timeout - it's just a matter of granting it ).

Why would a coach be worried about a 10 second FT violation? Are those actually called ?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
In women's NCAA, any coach can request a timeout. In men's, only the head coach may request one. (Well, technically, anyone may request a timeout - it's just a matter of granting it ).

Why would a coach be worried about a 10 second FT violation? Are those actually called ?
Well now there is an interesting take.....I've noticed that out of the hundreds of times I've stood there and counted, I've NEVER got to even 8! No wonder I see most guys use a wrist flick rather than an arm swing to count!

Larks - Veteran In Training
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
No wonder I see most guys use a wrist flick rather than an arm swing to count!
A wrist flick is required by the NF Officials Manual.

Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Sad But True

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
[B]Why would a coach be worried about a 10 second FT violation? Are those actually called ?

I have seen this called only once in my entire life. I was coaching a HS Boys team in Southern Illinois, my son was 16 and on the team. He had trouble at the line so I instructed him to take his time, get a routine, and then shoot. Well, the routine he settled on lasted more than 10 seconds. The only face redder than mine at this point was his. Imagine what we worked on in practice on Monday?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Grant the request of timeout to team A and call timeout. BTW/what is a "wrist flick".