Because:
1) he doesn't know the rules.
2) he doesn't own a rulebook.
3) he makes up his own rules.
Whatever! Feel better now?
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 02:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser
Why aren't you going to allow subs (assuming NFHS)?
Assuming HS (and for that matter NCAA too), and less than a minute to play in a close game. Any request for a TO and you put air in the whistle is a TO period. You don't want to give a team an advantage with an inadvertent whistle, allowing subs to come in when the clock should have never stopped. NFHS has a problem in this area and the clock not stopping after a made basket with less than a minute to play. Now here's where we need a rule change. We are taught in NFHS that if a coach doesn't have anymore TO's, to ignore the TO request or any attempts to try and stop the clock with 5 or less seconds remaining, particularly after a made basket. You don't want to have an inadvertent whistle here.

Now here's a good one for you. 5 seconds remaining in the game, NFHS, team A down by 1 after just scoring. Team A coach requests TO that he doesn't have. You grant TO stopping the clock with 4 seconds left. Access TF to Team A. Where is the ball inbounded after the F/T's from the TF? Does the team still have inbound priviledges if from the baseline?
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Assuming HS (and for that matter NCAA too), and less than a minute to play in a close game. Any request for a TO and you put air in the whistle is a TO period.
I think I know the answery, but can you give a RULE reference as to why you'd shrug this off with more than 60 seconds remaining, but assess the TO with fewer than 60 on the clock?

Quote:
We are taught in NFHS that if a coach doesn't have anymore TO's, to ignore the TO request or any attempts to try and stop the clock with 5 or less seconds remaining, particularly after a made basket.
WHAT???? If you owned a rulebook, I might think you were confusing this with the casebook play that states that violations of the throw-in boundary plane by the defense, which would result in the team's warning for the game, are to be ignored with 5 or fewer seconds in a period and the clock running. NOWHERE in the rulebook are you allowed the liberty to ignore a TO request simply because the team has none left - this isn't football.

Quote:
Now here's a good one for you. 5 seconds remaining in the game, NFHS, team A down by 1 after just scoring. Team A coach requests TO that he doesn't have. You grant TO stopping the clock with 4 seconds left. Access TF to Team A. Where is the ball inbounded after the F/T's from the TF? Does the team still have inbound priviledges if from the baseline?
First off, I'm going to assess the technical foul to team A. Team B will have two shots, then B will recieve the ball for the throw-in at halfcourt - same as for any other technical foul.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
We are taught in NFHS that if a coach doesn't have anymore TO's, to ignore the TO request or any attempts to try and stop the clock with 5 or less seconds remaining, particularly after a made basket. You don't want to have an inadvertent whistle here.
Sigh, it never stops......

As usual, you are completely wrong, rules-wise.

We are not taught that in NFHS. Or NCAA either We are not taught that because it goes completely against what is already in the freaking rule book. If a coach requests a TO while his team has player control or the ball is dead, you grant the damn request. It doesn't matter when this happens during any period, including the last 5 seconds.

Again, if you don't own rule books or understand the rules, you shouldn't be making comments on the rules.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon May 28, 2007 at 04:01pm.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 04:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Again, if you don't own rule books or understand the rules, you shouldn't be making comments on the rules.
Relax, it's just a comment, not the end of the world.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 04:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
First off, I'm going to assess the technical foul to team A. Team B will have two shots, then B will recieve the ball for the throw-in at halfcourt - same as for any other technical foul.
Good for NFHS, I was hoping for some of the HS only guys to take a crack at it. Now for you, what about NCAA? Where do you inbound the ball? And again, do you retain inbound priviledges?

I agree, you probadly shouldn't ignore the TO request even if you are sure the team doesn't have it. The point is don't have an inadvertent whistle with 5 or less seconds left in a NFHS game, espeically if it's close.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 05:01pm

Quote:
Since we are being super technical here, this statement is incorrect. If you read in the book you will see that not all technicals fouls are inbounded at half court.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 05:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Since we are being super technical here, this statement is incorrect. If you read in the book you will see that not all technicals fouls are inbounded at half court.
Hate to break it to you, all HS single Ts go to half court. This is not a double foul so that would not count. I know you are trying to be clever, but it did not work.

Peace
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If we're being super technical (nice pun), then you're correct. I'm just not sure you know why you're correct.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 06:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
1) And again, do you retain inbound priviledges?

I agree, you probably shouldn't ignore the TO request even if you are sure the team doesn't have it.
Whatinthehell "inbound privileges" are you talking about?

2)"Probably"? Don't think so, JMO. There's no "probably" involved. You follow the damn rules. Of course, you do have to know the rules before you can follow them.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good for NFHS, I was hoping for some of the HS only guys to take a crack at it. Now for you, what about NCAA? Where do you inbound the ball? And again, do you retain inbound priviledges?
Men's - 2 shots for B, B retains the ball at the POI and can run the endline.

Women's - 2 shots for B, B has posession awarded (because of the excess timeout) at the division line (on either side of the court).
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You do for any technical foul for which possession is part of the penalty.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 06:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If we're being super technical (nice pun), then you're correct. I'm just not sure you know why you're correct.
Double TF is POI, NFHS.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 06:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Hate to break it to you, all HS single Ts go to half court. This is not a double foul so that would not count. I know you are trying to be clever, but it did not work.

Peace
Not trying to be clever, just pointing out a fact and that was off the top.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 06:40am

Quote:
Men's - 2 shots for B, B retains the ball at the POI and can run the endline.

Women's - 2 shots for B, B has posession awarded (because of the excess timeout) at the division line (on either side of the court).
Nice, this was one of the points I was trying to bring out. Completely different set of circumstances between NCAA Men's and NFHS.

Nice point on the women's side too. I did not know that it went to the division line, but I know the TO also comes with lost of possession in women's considering the team was on offense.