Thread: Injured player
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
what is a severe injury? If a player goes down with an ankle problem, I dont know if it is severe or not. If there is no danger to the player for getting hurt for a seond time why blow the play while there is no team control? If the player is laying underneath the basket in this scenario I will kill it so we dont compund the injury, but if the injury isnt going to be compounded why stop it? We dont interrupt fast breaks when a player has gone down. We wait until the ball stops, etc. I agree with the not attacking, not sure I agree with the stop it after a shot is taken.
5-8-2 Note
NOTE: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player's team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.

Sounds like what I wrote, doesn't it?

If you want to wait for a rebound, I can live with that but if the offense rebounds the ball in the lane, then they have another opportunity. If you're going to stop the play now, then that's no reason that you couldn't have stopped it before.

As far as what's severe, I'm probably not going to stop it unless I see blood, or the player appears to possibly be unconscious. I'll also stop it if the player is in immenient danger.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith