Thread: Injured player
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Last night. Girls’ JV. Offensive rebounding action under A’s basket. Repeated shots won’t go down.

I’m lead, focused on post play and somehow I fail to see that there’s a B defender in apparent pain lying on the floor curled up on her side just outside the paint about half way up the lane. (I am concerned that my field of vision was so narrow; that's something I need to address.)

Be that as it may, the situation’s brought to my attention by shouting fans and B coach just as A finally gets a put-back to drop. We blow whistle and stop play to summon B coach, who verbally lays into my partner (only because he’s nearer the bench) for not stopping play sooner .

My tableside trail partner had observed the scenario and had withheld his whistle. His explanation to the coach was that A had scoring opportunities and that injured B was in no immediate danger, so play should continue.

Turns out that B had severely rolled her ankle.

Me? I’m wondering how I could not have seen her go down and secondly, should I have stopped play right away had I actually witnessed her fall and subsequent pain?

Not having been there, what do you think you would have done? How much of this would be a judgment call?

Sven