The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 03:15pm
Lighten up, Francis.

First AAU of the year

Did my first set of AAU games this morning. Joy.

Game 1 went OT At the end of the overtime period, White was leading by 1 with under 2 seconds. White had the ball for a throw-in. Inbounder throws the ball directly to a Red player. The ball bounces off his chest and is loose on the floor. Two players reach for it, but the horn sounds. Game over, White wins.

Red player is pissed because he thought he was held during the loose ball. White player is pissed because he says he was trying to foul. (I honestly didn't see the foul. I think it might have been behind the play, which I was too close to because I was stuck on the sideline.) Both teams are pissed and I have no idea what's going on.

Apparently, White needed to win by at least 8 points to make the playoffs. So they were trying to give the foul and hope that Red made one shot of the 1-and-1 so they could play a second OT and try to win by enough to qualify for the playoffs.

Second game, 3.4 seconds left in the first half. White inbounding, under the opponent's basket. They have to go the length of the floor to get the last shot off. Ball is inbounded, but the clock doesn't start. I count 3-2-1, kid shoots, miss, I blow the whistle. The clock is now running down, around 1.5. The White coach immediately points out that there is time still showing on the clock. I told him what happened and that I had counted it down myself. He informs me that I can't do that, and in 45 years of coaching has never seen it happen. I told him that I could, in fact, do that. At which point, he informed me, "That's not your job!" The exchange ended shortly after that.

Early in the second half, he kid drives out of control to the basket, throws up a wild shot and the other team gets the rebound. I'm Trail in front of his bench. The coach says, "That's not a foul?!?!" I know I shouldn't have, but I couldn't help myself. I answered,

"Don't worry about it, Coach. That's not your job."
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 03:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Ha !
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I'm having a positive influence on you.

Old Sun May 20, 2007, 05:23pm
Administrator

Quote:
Did my first set of AAU games this morning. Joy.

Game 1 went OT At the end of the overtime period, White was leading by 1 with under 2 seconds. White had the ball for a throw-in. Inbounder throws the ball directly to a Red player. The ball bounces off his chest and is loose on the floor. Two players reach for it, but the horn sounds. Game over, White wins.

Red player is pissed because he thought he was held during the loose ball. White player is pissed because he says he was trying to foul. (I honestly didn't see the foul. I think it might have been behind the play, which I was too close to because I was stuck on the sideline.) Both teams are pissed and I have no idea what's going on.

Apparently, White needed to win by at least 8 points to make the playoffs. So they were trying to give the foul and hope that Red made one shot of the 1-and-1 so they could play a second OT and try to win by enough to qualify for the playoffs.

Second game, 3.4 seconds left in the first half. White inbounding, under the opponent's basket. They have to go the length of the floor to get the last shot off. Ball is inbounded, but the clock doesn't start. I count 3-2-1, kid shoots, miss, I blow the whistle. The clock is now running down, around 1.5. The White coach immediately points out that there is time still showing on the clock. I told him what happened and that I had counted it down myself. He informs me that I can't do that, and in 45 years of coaching has never seen it happen. I told him that I could, in fact, do that. At which point, he informed me, "That's not your job!" The exchange ended shortly after that.

Early in the second half, he kid drives out of control to the basket, throws up a wild shot and the other team gets the rebound. I'm Trail in front of his bench. The coach says, "That's not a foul?!?!" I know I shouldn't have, but I couldn't help myself. I answered,

Scrapper:

Sounds like you did good. But I think I would have turned to the coach and said: "No. But this is a foul." And shown the universal sign for a T.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 05:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Good coaching strategy. A smarter Team A coach would "ask you" if it's a foul once the thrower-in has the ball.

Quote:

Superb! I like it.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That could make for an interesting intentional foul situation.

Quote:
Perfect comeback, and seems like it was a situation where it was safe to use it. Had the coach gotten T'ed at halftime, not so sure I'd pull it out.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I'm having a positive influence on you.

You've still got a little work to do.

If Scrapper would've said, "Don't worry about it coach. That's not your f*^#&# job.", then I would be impressed.

I'm glad you guys keep reminding me why I don't want to do any AAU ball over the summer.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy

I'm glad you guys keep reminding me why I don't want to do any AAU ball over the summer.
Agreed. I actually read the title of the thread and thought, "I hope I'm not starting a thread like that this summer." In the past, I've had a hard time saying no, but I'm doing better this year. I just said no to an adult league all-star game this week. Baby steps.....
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
That could make for an interesting intentional foul situation.
Had a sitch a number of years ago - I'm L in a half-court press situation just coming out of a TO, and right near the HC that requested the TO. His strategy was to commit a foul before the ball was legally inbounds, yet after the thrower-in had the ball in his hands. Only thing was he told me about his plan. Intentional foul or not?
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:03pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Intentional foul or not?
Basketball play or not?
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
adult league all-star game
Isn't that an oxymoron, like "army intelligence"?
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I had three AAU games on Saturday and absolutely nothing happened. It was surreal. Not one coach complained; not one strange play; not one bit of bad sportsmanship. The teams came to play and they did. The coaches simply coached.

And what made this even more amazing is that the benches were on the end line, so either I or my partner was standing directly in front of a coach the entire game (when the ball was at that end of the court).

I was actually looking forward to three more games on Sunday, but the assignor called and said the roof was leaking and the games on my court were canceled.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 06:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Agreed. I actually read the title of the thread and thought, "I hope I'm not starting a thread like that this summer." In the past, I've had a hard time saying no, but I'm doing better this year. I just said no to an adult league all-star game this week. Baby steps.....
Have you quit slapping yourself in the head, too?
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Isn't that an oxymoron, like "army intelligence"?
Good point. I did work it last year and there's a player that cannot cross over without carrying the ball. It doesn't get called in the regular season because the guys that ususally work that league sit at half court and call the game from there. So, early in the game, the guy tries to cross over and I call the carry. He informs me, "This is an all-star game, that terrible!" I replied, "If you're an all-star, you should know how to dribble legally." I always kind of liked that one. Oh yeah, the guy got whacked on the last play of the game, when they were up by 20. Gotta love adults.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 10:35am

Quote:
Basketball play or not?
I immediately assessed a non-intentional foul upon observing the B player hindering the progress of an opponent.