The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
I'm not the one confused here. I agree that intentional fouls are never flagrant fouls and that is why we cannot change the terminology.
Not sure that this is a compelling argument. The terminology can be changed if the committee or someone on the committee chooses to. Secondly the terminology does not have to use the words "flagrant" in the terminology. Just because you happen to disagree does not mean you cannot change the terminology. If the wording is ever changed, I doubt what you think or what I think is ultimately going to make much of a difference.

Quote:
However - intentional fouls can appear to be flagrant. This argument is the same as those earlier that argue about the "intent" of a foul. Some flagrant fouls can appear to be "intentional", yet by rule cannot be. How is changing terminology going to solve anything? If you say that by changing terminology more officials are going to "make the call" then they are the ones confused. Are you one of those officials? I'm not - I have no problem making the calls and seeing the difference between them. My whole point is that changing the terminology will not change how officials make the call.
Also understand that everyone advocating the change are not all saying the change is good for the same reasons. I know I do not think changing the terminology is going to make me or anyone call more of these fouls. What it might do is take away the point of view that there has to be intent for a call to be made. Remember, coaches and players complain a lot when they are stuck with these fouls they did not "intentionally" mean to foul or to cause a certain level of contact. If you simply change the terminology, they might just understand their intent was not a factor in the call. At least the NCAA puts in an intentional foul with excessive contact as apart of those rules. There is also a signal to boot for clarification as to why an official made this call. I just have always thought the terminology was bad because many people do not know "intent" is not at all apart of the foul calling process. You can foul intentionally and it is considered apart of the game and the strategy of the game at least from the NF's point of view.

Peace
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 04:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
1) However - intentional fouls can appear to be flagrant.

2) Some flagrant fouls can appear to be "intentional", yet by rule cannot be.
1) In what way?

2) Again, can you explain that statement?

I have no idea what you're talking about now.