The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Read this post and had a similar sitch tonight. Funny how that happens....

About two minutes into the third quarter Team A is down 30-12. Nothing was going right for them -- they had to burn three time outs in the first half to prevent 10 second backcourt calls.

After an OOB call, B calls a timeout. Then A1 gets the ball under their own basket. She throws it long to A2 standing in A's backcourt. A2 gets confused, turns and drives quickly to B's basket, and makes the shot. Now B is confused, or are they? A defender who had almost blocked the shot, and then changed her mind, grabs the ball and takes it out under the basket, inbounds to a teammate and they shoot quickly again. This all happened so fast, it took a second to react, but by now, both coaches are yelling, the table is buzzing the horn and the fans are going crazy. My partner blew his whistle, and we regrouped. In the end we waved off the second basket, but didn't call an infraction on team B, since we felt the players had acted honestly out of confusion, and not from unsportsmanlike intent. We put the first basket into Team B's total, but not to any individual -- neither of us could remember what the book says about the individual, so we made the book guy write a note in the bottom of the page. We gave the ball to Team A under B's basket, and away we went. Oh, and we didn't put any time back on the clock...
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 06:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Read this post and had a similar sitch tonight. Funny how that happens....

About two minutes into the third quarter Team A is down 30-12. Nothing was going right for them -- they had to burn three time outs in the first half to prevent 10 second backcourt calls.

After an OOB call, B calls a timeout. Then A1 gets the ball under their own basket. She throws it long to A2 standing in A's backcourt. A2 gets confused, turns and drives quickly to B's basket, and makes the shot. Now B is confused, or are they? A defender who had almost blocked the shot, and then changed her mind, grabs the ball and takes it out under the basket, inbounds to a teammate and they shoot quickly again. This all happened so fast, it took a second to react, but by now, both coaches are yelling, the table is buzzing the horn and the fans are going crazy. My partner blew his whistle, and we regrouped. In the end we waved off the second basket, but didn't call an infraction on team B, since we felt the players had acted honestly out of confusion, and not from unsportsmanlike intent. We put the first basket into Team B's total, but not to any individual -- neither of us could remember what the book says about the individual, so we made the book guy write a note in the bottom of the page. We gave the ball to Team A under B's basket, and away we went. Oh, and we didn't put any time back on the clock...
For anybody that read my first post,I was wrong.I misread the sitch.Juulie,after further review,the replay official thinks you guys did a heckuva job!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 18th, 2001 at 07:37 AM]