The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pick / Charge (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/34468-pick-charge.html)

Mark Dexter Thu May 10, 2007 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm
Someone help old Sam out here,:confused:

When does the stationery B1 tranfer from setting a blind screen to a player taking a charge?

When A1 causes contact with him?

I'd say that B1 is guarding A1 from the beginning (getting in the path of an offensive player). Either way, I think B1 fits the description of a legal screen or a legal guarding position.

ChuckElias Thu May 10, 2007 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm
When does the stationery B1 tranfer from setting a blind screen to a player taking a charge?

When the person he's screening gains control of the ball.

Mark Dexter Thu May 10, 2007 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
As I said, that comment wasn't meant to apply to the original post.

I'm picturing A1 jumping to catch the pass and B1 jumping into his path, allowing A1 to return to the floor, but not time and distance to avoid the contact. In that case, (a) if A1 catches the ball, it's a player control foul; (b) if A1 bobbles the ball, it's a block.

Sorry I was unclear.

Has Zorro been unmasked? ;)

Much clearer now, though, although I think that the rules would indicate calling a block in both situations. Both 4-23-4 (opponent with the ball) and 4-23-5 (moving oponent without the ball) state that "If the opponent [with the ball] is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor."

Scrapper1 Thu May 10, 2007 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Much clearer now, though, although I think that the rules would indicate calling a block in both situations. Both 4-23-4 (opponent with the ball) and 4-23-5 (moving oponent without the ball) state that "If the opponent [with the ball] is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor."

Yes, but in Chuck's example, he stated

Quote:

I'm picturing A1 jumping to catch the pass and B1 jumping into his path, allowing A1 to return to the floor, but not time and distance to avoid the contact.
Once A1 returns to the floor, he's no longer airborne. So if B1 is stationary, catch-land-crash is a player control foul, even if B1 got to his spot after A1 went airborne.

Camron Rust Thu May 10, 2007 04:01pm

Block/Charge...

The defender is required to give time and distance only if the opponent doesn't have the ball. In this case, the defender, at first, was required to give 2 steps (opponent was running full speed without the ball). However, once the opponent catches the ball, the time/distance requirements are eliminated.

So, if the defender gets the same position giving one step (for example) until contact, the call depends on whether the offensive player catches the ball. Catch...charge, no catch....block.

If the offensive player was airborne at the time the defender took thier position, the offensive player must be allowed room to land. Once they land, the same requirements exist as if they never jumped...time and distance if they don't have the ball.

If the defender took thier position before the offensive player jumped, the defender need not give them a place to land if they have the ball (at the time of contact) but may need to give space to land if they don't.

(this was composed 2 hours before I submitted it so it might be redundant with other's posts by now)

Dan_ref Thu May 10, 2007 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Has Zorro been unmasked? ;)

No.

Merely typing in the wrong window.

SamIAm Thu May 10, 2007 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
When the person he's screening gains control of the ball.

If A1 had not received a pass, it would have been a blind screen with no foul.
Correct?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu May 10, 2007 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
JR answered the second part of your post well. As far as the block/charge, that is a tough call. As described, I would be inclined to go with the charge, but that is a hard one to call without seeing it. More importantly than anything, make sure you have a whistle on a play like that, which it sounds as though you did.

Junker:

Please elaborate on why the block/charge play, as described in the origianl post, is a tough call. As described in the orginal post, this is a charge even if the offensive player never gets the ball. The defender met all of the requirements for obtaining/establishing a legal guarding position.

MTD, Sr.

Mark Dexter Thu May 10, 2007 05:16pm

I'm a bit dizzy (part reading this and part having a headache) and still not comprehending the multiple merged scenarios above? Anyone care to explain at a level that someone whose brain is burned out from studying can comprehend?

ColdShot Thu May 10, 2007 07:13pm

"Here is an NFHS case book play that might explain it a little more fully to you:
Casebook Play 10.6.3SitD:
A1 is running towards A's goal but is looking back to receive a pass. B1 takes a position in the path of A1 while A1 is 10 feet away from B1. (a)A1 runs into B1 before receiving the ball, or (b) A1 receives the ball and runs into B1.
RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 is responsible for contact. In (a), B1's position is legal if A1 has been given 2 strides prior to contact. In (b), since the position of B1 is legal when A1 has the ball, the contact is charging by B1."

Thanks. Clearly by the rules it is a charge. I have a problem with the rule :-).
A fast player covers "10 feet" in about .3 seconds. He's supposed to be able to catch a pass, turn his head, see the defender, and avoid him in .3 seconds
or less according to both the NFHS and NCAA examples and rules. Indeed, since "speed and distance" do not apply to the player with the ball, the defender doesn't have to give any time or space before stepping in assuming LGP, correct?

Jurassic Referee Thu May 10, 2007 07:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdShot
A fast player covers "10 feet" in about .3 seconds. He's supposed to be able to catch a pass, turn his head, see the defender, and avoid him in .3 seconds
or less according to both the NFHS and NCAA examples and rules. Indeed, since "speed and distance" do not apply to the player with the ball, the defender doesn't have to give any time or space before stepping in assuming LGP, correct?

There's different concepts involved depending on whether the offensive player has control of the ball or not.
1) If the player doesn't have the ball, "screening" principles apply and the defender has to give "time and distance" to a <b>moving</b> opponent. Iow, they have to give the other player time to stop or change directions. The required distance is 1-2 steps, but the <b>maximum</b> that must be allowed is 2 steps.
2) If the player does have the ball, then "guarding" principles are involved instead. To establish a legal guarding position, the defender does <b>not</b> have to allow time and distance. The only requirements to <b>establish</b> an initial legal guarding position are (a) the defender must establish himself in the offensive player's path with both feet on the court, and (b) the defender must be facing the offensive player at that particular time. If the defensive player can do that and then maintain that legal guarding position, the onus for contact lies with the offensive player. There is no requirement for the defender to give any distance at all after establishing an initial legal guarding position.

Make any sense now?

ColdShot Thu May 10, 2007 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
There's different concepts involved depending on whether the offensive player has control of the ball or not.
1) If the player doesn't have the ball, "screening" principles apply and the defender has to give "time and distance" to a <b>moving</b> opponent. Iow, they have to give the other player time to stop or change directions. The required distance is 1-2 steps, but the <b>maximum</b> that must be allowed is 2 steps.
2) If the player does have the ball, then "guarding" principles are involved instead. To establish a legal guarding position, the defender does <b>not</b> have to allow time and distance. The only requirements to <b>establish</b> an initial legal guarding position are (a) the defender must establish himself in the offensive player's path with both feet on the court, and (b) the defender must be facing the offensive player at that particular time. If the defensive player can do that and then maintain that legal guarding position, the onus for contact lies with the offensive player. There is no requirement for the defender to give any distance at all after establishing an initial legal guarding position.

Make any sense now?

No....the issue that I have a problem with is the combination of 1) and 2) where the receiver doesn't have the ball one instant and ""screening" principles apply", then suddenly ""guarding" principles are involved instead" as he catches the pass. The instantaneous transition, and completely different set of rules, is what I have a problem with.

Camron Rust Thu May 10, 2007 08:30pm

Quote:

No....the issue that I have a problem with is the combination of 1) and 2) where the receiver doesn't have the ball one instant and ""screening" principles apply", then suddenly ""guarding" principles are involved instead" as he catches the pass. The instantaneous transition, and completely different set of rules, is what I have a problem with.

Basically, if a player knows he is about to catch the ball and needs to be aware of where other players. Before he turns his head to the ball, he should ensure that is path is clear. More than likely, the player was looking over his shoulder for several steps while the defender was waiting to cut off his path.

bob jenkins Fri May 11, 2007 07:32am

Quote:

When would you prefer the "transition" to take place? How would that be enforced?

Mark Dexter Fri May 11, 2007 07:49am

Quote:

But that's not when the transition occurs. As soon as the "reciever's" (A1) team has the ball, B1 is guarding him (or, at least, has the opportunity to get into a legal guarding position). The only difference is then guarding a player with the ball vs. guarding a player without the ball.