The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Situation - help please (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/34414-situation-help-please.html)

DC_Ref12 Wed May 09, 2007 07:44am

Situation - help please

Team B is in the bonus. A1 is driving towards his basket when B1 establishes LGP in A1's path. A1 jumps in the air to attempt a shot but before contacting B1, passes the ball off. While the ball is in the air between A1 and A2, A1 contacts B1 and sends them both to the floor.

IF you have a foul here, what is your call?

a) PC foul on A1, no FTs
b) Team control foul, no FTs
c) common foul, B1 to shoot FT(s)

Scrapper1 Wed May 09, 2007 07:48am

B. Team control during the pass. Foul is against the passer, so it's a TC foul.

mick Wed May 09, 2007 07:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
Team B is in the bonus. A1 is driving towards his basket when B1 establishes LGP in A1's path. A1 jumps in the air to attempt a shot but before contacting B1, passes the ball off. While the ball is in the air between A1 and A2, A1 contacts B1 and sends them both to the floor.

a) PC foul on A1, no FTs

Case 4.19.7 Sit D(a)

Mark Dexter Wed May 09, 2007 07:51am

Let's go with 4-12-1 and 4-12-2. Once A1 lets go of the ball for a pass, he no longer has control, but his team still does.

B is the correct option, and this play is a good topic for pre-game discussion - both about who is going to look where and how the foul should be assessed.

DC_Ref12 Wed May 09, 2007 08:01am

Ya, that's what I thought too (B) but the practice test I took last night said differently. It said it should be (c), common foul and B1 shoots FTs at the other end.

Bad Zebra Wed May 09, 2007 08:13am

Was it a Fed practice test?

DC_Ref12 Wed May 09, 2007 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Was it a Fed practice test?

It was an association tasted based on Fed rules. They must have just kicked that question.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed May 09, 2007 08:25am

Quote:

a) PC foul on A1, no FTs

I agree that the correct answer is (b), but do not forget that both Team Control Fouls and Player Control Fouls are a Common Fouls.

MTD, Sr.

mick Wed May 09, 2007 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I agree that the correct answer is (b), but do not forget that both Team Control Fouls and Player Control Fouls are a Common Fouls.

MTD, Sr.

...But [maybe] with shots.

Scrapper1 Wed May 09, 2007 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
...But [maybe] with shots.

When would you get shots for a team control foul or player control foul? :confused:

mick Wed May 09, 2007 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
When would you get shots for a team control foul or player control foul? :confused:

I dunno. <iiiii>

IREFU2 Wed May 09, 2007 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1

You never get shots on a player control foul.

DC_Ref12 Wed May 09, 2007 10:16am

So do you ever get shots on a team control foul?

IREFU2 Wed May 09, 2007 10:24am

Quote:

So do you ever get shots on a team control foul?

I was checking to make sure and the answer is no. You dont shoot free throw on a team control foul. Look in your case book under 4.19.7. It gives examples of team control fouls.

Scrapper1 Wed May 09, 2007 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
You never get shots on a player control foul.

I know, that's why I was confused about Mick's response that said "(maybe) with shots". I still don't quite see what he was saying.

But you never shoot free throws for any team control or player control foul.