The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Partner and backcourt call.

I'm the L, dribbler A1 from the backcourt is moving towards frontcourt partner calls backcourt with A1's foot clearly on the division line. Coach of A clearly not happy. I saw the play only because A1 is coming upcourt on my sideline.

Do you come in and talk to partner about what you saw?

A is up by 30. Partner has been on some other planet the entire game.

I ended up talking to coach of A, saying that i didn't get a good look at it, and that he waws correct about knowing that s dribler must have both feet and the ball to establish front court.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I had this same situation a month ago in a HS age select tournament. I was out wide so I could watch my line as they came up the floor, except I had a match-up to watch so I was watching the line in my periferal (sp). From what I saw, the dribbler had one foot in BC or on the line. I did nothing. When we went to the other end I had a foul call and ended up by the coaches and the conversation was short;

Coach: No way that was back court
Me: Coach, I didn't see it. I was watching the big guys down low.
Coach: Yea, they are starting to bang a little aren't they.
Me: Yep, give us some help with that so we don't have to blow the whistle.
Coach: OK, but for back court doesn't the dribbler have to have all 3 points in the front court?
Me: Yes...does that have a bearing on the play?
Coach: You really didn't see it did you?
Me: Nope...gotta run.

Did ask my partner about it, he said from his vantage point, the dribbler had all three in the front court. Made it a real short conversation.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming this is 2 man, but either way, this really isn't something you will have a good look at from L unless it is on a breakaway pass and the T can't get there. From your OP it doen't sound like the case so I wouldn't say anything. If the coach asks, I'll explain that I was going to lead so I wouldn't know and my partner will be around so you can ask him when you get a chance.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

The problem with this situation is that you really can't tell. You've got the wrong angle to tell if a player is stepping on or near a line that is 40+ feet from you and is perpendicular to your line of sight. Sure you can tell if he steps on the sideline, but not the division line. No matter what it looked like from your angle, you can't tell.

The coach may have been completely right. Just tell him, like you did, that you didn't see where the player was and that he'd have to talk to you partner if he wanted any more information.

I've seen partners call my sideline (as I was lead and they were trail) when the player was at least 1-2 feet inbounds...not often since most officials know better but this guy, for some reason, though I just missed it.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu May 10, 2007 at 01:09pm.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbioteach
I'm the L, dribbler A1 from the backcourt is moving towards frontcourt partner calls backcourt with A1's foot clearly on the division line. Coach of A clearly not happy. I saw the play only because A1 is coming upcourt on my sideline.
You have to remember that you're looking from 40-50 feet away and will have a sizeable parallax. If you were the trail that far away, would you call an OOB violation on the baseline for a toe stepping out (or appearing to step out)? If I were your partner, doing so would be about the one thing that would get me to rip you a new one.

Quote:
Do you come in and talk to partner about what you saw?
See above. I'd only say something if I were much closer, had a perfect view and thought he may have misapplied the rule. Mention it after the game or during a timeout, it may be a teachable moment for your partner or you may have seen something wrong.