The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 05, 2007, 06:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Not necessarily a referee issue, but a basketball story

Three Molalla (OR) HS basketball players have been arrested and accused of first-degree unlawful sexual penetration and sex abuse in what officials describe as a series of hazing incidents during a team trip that escalated into violent crime.

Under Oregon law, the three (ages 16, 17 and 18) will be tried as adults and, if convicted, will be sent to prison for a minimum of eight years. The allegations are that one of the boys held down the victim (another team player) while one of the others had a "much more active role" (quoting the D.A.). One of the three has a prior conviction on a sex abuse charge in 2004. According to police, the three will also face a second set of charges in another county due to a similar incident on a different team road trip.

Because they will be tried as adults under Oregon law, their names were released to the press and public. School officials had suspended the three in January after hearing about a "pantsing" incident in a motel hot tub (during a road trip to a tournament) but did not uncover more serious allegations.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

From a well-written article:
Reached by phone Friday, the mother of the 18-year-old senior said she was distraught over the way her son is being treated.
"We're very upset about it, and we're thinking that they made too big a deal out of it," she said. "It's something that the kids all did in fun."
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...l=7&thispage=1

In other words...sexual assault is a joke.

It is just another reminder of the mentality of parents and players that we deal with on the court. And it makes me sick.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
It is just another reminder of the mentality of parents and players that we deal with on the court. And it makes me sick.
s/b "...the mentality of SOME of the parents and players that we deal with..." They are certainly NOT all of that opinion.!
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
From a well-written article:
Reached by phone Friday, the mother of the 18-year-old senior said she was distraught over the way her son is being treated.
"We're very upset about it, and we're thinking that they made too big a deal out of it," she said. "It's something that the kids all did in fun."
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...l=7&thispage=1

In other words...sexual assault is a joke.

FUN??? I'm guessing there was 1 in the bunch that didn't have fun!
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Stories like this are why hazing is being discouraged, investigated and punished - no matter how inconsequential or severe.

I have to wonder, though, why we've seen so much more press about hazing incidents in the past decade or so. Are hazing incidents becoming more escalated and severe in recent years? Or have the same type of incidents been going on for years, and perhaps our current media hype over-amplifies everything?
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 10:30am
Esteemed Participant

Hazing, freshman initiatio, etc...those have been around a long time, and I have been on both sides of the issue - but never, NEVER EVER EVER, did we do anything remotely similiar to what this article talks about. "Digital penetration"??? That's sick and twisted and is not even in the same ball-park as the baby food eating contests or the karaoke contests in the dining room that I participated in during the college years...and why in the worl did this team have a convicted sex offender as a team member??? Good grief...and one must ask, where were the coaches during all of this?