The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Legal Guarding Position (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/34135-legal-guarding-position.html)

Jurassic Referee Tue May 01, 2007 06:56am

Legal Guarding Position

From another forum.....

Defensive player B1 has established a legal guarding position on dribbler A1, and you have started a 5-second closely guarded count. The defender now slips and falls to the floor, face-down, in front of the dribbler. Do you continue your closely-guarded count while B1 is laying face down on the court?

mick Tue May 01, 2007 06:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
From another forum.....

Defensive player B1 has established a legal guarding position on dribbler A1, and you have started a 5-second closely guarded count. The defender now slips and falls to the floor, face-down, in front of the dribbler. Do you continue your closely-guarded count while B1 is laying face down on the court?

No. I end my 5-count and start a 10-count.

Jurassic Referee Tue May 01, 2007 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick

LOL.....:D

Dan_ref Tue May 01, 2007 10:52am

Quote:

From another forum.....

Sounds like your friend could use some new sneakers.

Where is that sneaker selling guy?

JugglingReferee Tue May 01, 2007 11:05am

nikepopularshoes

you buy good shoe.

i ship tomorrow.

you call 86-594-2759811 i sell you shoe

Adam Tue May 01, 2007 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
you buy good shoe.

i ship tomorrow.

Five dolla. Shoe last long time.

JoeTheRef Tue May 01, 2007 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick

That's funny. If the coach throws in the towel, then what do you have?? :D

JoeTheRef Tue May 01, 2007 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
you buy good shoe.

i ship tomorrow.

And no foget.. no leeefund!!!

M&M Guy Tue May 01, 2007 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
That's funny. If the coach throws in the towel, then what do you have?? :D

I might have a technical (KO).

Jurassic Referee Tue May 01, 2007 12:33pm

Aw geeze, I'm serious, guys, believe it or not.

Opinions-----can a defender maintain LGP and a closely-guarded count continue while the defender is laying face down on the court?

Dan_ref Tue May 01, 2007 12:40pm

Quote:

Aw geeze, I'm serious, guys, believe it or not.

Opinions-----can a defender maintain LGP and a closely-guarded count continue while the defender is laying face down on the court?

Under ncaa, no. Defender cannot maintain guarding position lying on the floor. This has been discussed here many times.

I'm sure someone will copy/paste half the fed rulebook to show why he thinks I'm wrong but I'm stopping my count in a fed game on this as well, unless there's another defender in the vacinity to take his place.

Jurassic Referee Tue May 01, 2007 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I'm sure someone will copy/paste half the fed rulebook to show why he thinks I'm wrong but I'm stopping my count in a fed game on this as well, unless there's another defender in the vicinity to take his place.

I'll only copy this, and only as an aid to further discussion....

NFHS rule 4-23-3(a)--"After the initial legal guarding position is obtained, the guard may have one or both feet on the playing court or be airborne, provided he/she has inbound status."

Fwiw, I agree with you btw. Other esteemed members don't.

rockyroad Tue May 01, 2007 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Under ncaa, no. Defender cannot maintain guarding position lying on the floor. This has been discussed here many times.

I'm sure someone will copy/paste half the fed rulebook to show why he thinks I'm wrong but I'm stopping my count in a fed game on this as well, unless there's another defender in the vacinity to take his place.

Agreed...nowhere in the discussion of maintaining LGP does it talk about a player lying on the floor.

Scrapper1 Tue May 01, 2007 12:53pm

The dribbler's just gonna stand there for 5 seconds while his defender is on the floor? I don't think you're ever going to have to worry about this.

truerookie Tue May 01, 2007 01:01pm

[QUOTE=Jurassic Referee]I'll only copy this, and only as an aid to further discussion....

NFHS rule 4-23-3(a)--"After the initial legal guarding position is obtained, the guard may have one or both feet on the playing court or be airborne, provided he/she has inbound status."

Technically, both feet are still on the playing court. :D Just technically;)