The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up The Referee's Choice

I just sent in my depost, anyone else going to Roanoke VA for this camp in June?
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to VaLadyRef
I sent in my deposit last week too. Is this your first year attending? I went last year and its a really great camp.
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Do you have the information on the camp?
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to VaLadyRef
LongIsland,
If you send me a pm with your email, I will forward the application and email from Mike Eades to you.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

DO you care to send me the information on the camp as well? Thanks
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref54
DO you care to send me the information on the camp as well? Thanks
The camp is probably full now. Last I talked with Eades, he said 10 slot were left. PM me and I will send you the stuff.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

As I have mentioned in the past, I started officiating at age 45 and have been doing this for 5 years (just worked bad JH and YMCA games the first year) and joined a local chapter after that first year. Last year my schedule was about 45% varsity. Obviously at my advanced age (ONLY FOR OFFIATING ), I am not going to be picked up by a college assignor...that and I am not very athletic looking.

I have heard many on hear speak highly of the camp. So, my questions are; Is this camp that much better than the typical camp put on by a local organization? Is it worth traveling half way across the country if your only goal is getting better in HS ball?

If you are familiar with Tony Stigliano (sp), he has several camps locally that sound similar to this one. I was told last year that unless you are want college ball in your future, your experience with some of the staff would not be that useful...could just be a couple of "sour campers" talking.

Understand, I am not knocking HS ball or saying "woe is me, I can never call college"...I just understand that any openings with college assignors will go to younger officials. Heck, if I was in charge of hiring officials for a college conference I would take guys younger than me...they have a longer future and probably a better up side than a semi-hard headed old guy
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
As I have mentioned in the past, I started officiating at age 45 and have been doing this for 5 years (just worked bad JH and YMCA games the first year) and joined a local chapter after that first year. Last year my schedule was about 45% varsity. Obviously at my advanced age (ONLY FOR OFFIATING ), I am not going to be picked up by a college assignor...that and I am not very athletic looking.

I have heard many on hear speak highly of the camp. So, my questions are; Is this camp that much better than the typical camp put on by a local organization? Is it worth traveling half way across the country if your only goal is getting better in HS ball?

If you are familiar with Tony Stigliano (sp), he has several camps locally that sound similar to this one. I was told last year that unless you are want college ball in your future, your experience with some of the staff would not be that useful...could just be a couple of "sour campers" talking.

Understand, I am not knocking HS ball or saying "woe is me, I can never call college"...I just understand that any openings with college assignors will go to younger officials. Heck, if I was in charge of hiring officials for a college conference I would take guys younger than me...they have a longer future and probably a better up side than a semi-hard headed old guy
I would go to Peter Contreras and Barry Roberts' camp in Dallas. It's a great learning camp with video breakdown and all the trimmings. -- In July sometime. Less travel time and money.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
I would go to Peter Contreras and Barry Roberts' camp in Dallas. It's a great learning camp with video breakdown and all the trimmings. -- In July sometime. Less travel time and money.
Dear Fellow Official,

In conjunction with the 2007 BCI National Tournament, a Women’s Basketball Officials Identification Camp will be conducted July 19-22, 2007 in Dallas, Texas. This is the fourth year for such a camp. Games will be played at City of Lewisville MET Center and Lewisville High School. The sites are near the D/FW Airport.

Becky Marshall, Coordinator of Officials for the Big XII Conference, Sun Belt Conference and Southland Conference will be in attendance along with Brenda Lawrence of the Southwest Athletic Conference (SWAC). Other conference supervisors may be in attendance also. The purpose of the camp is educational and also to exposure you to evaluation from current officials in those conferences. It is also our intent to have a classroom session before evaluation by staff and the four conference supervisors.

Rooms have been booked at the Sheraton Hotel if desired. Additional hotel information is included on the camp flyer.

If your have additional questions, please contact Peter Contreras by email or at (512) 393-1958 (cell) or at (512) 396-2853 (home) and Barry Roberts at (251) 747-4346 (cell) or (251) 970-1659.

Sincerely,

Peter Contreras
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Engine1411 Send a message via Yahoo to Engine1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I just sent in my depost, anyone else going to Roanoke VA for this camp in June?
I am driving up from Atlanta for this camp. I will see you there.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
Dear Fellow Official,

In conjunction with the 2007 BCI National Tournament, a Women’s Basketball Officials Identification Camp will be conducted July 19-22, 2007 in Dallas, Texas. This is the fourth year for such a camp. Games will be played at City of Lewisville MET Center and Lewisville High School. The sites are near the D/FW Airport.

Becky Marshall, Coordinator of Officials for the Big XII Conference, Sun Belt Conference and Southland Conference will be in attendance along with Brenda Lawrence of the Southwest Athletic Conference (SWAC). Other conference supervisors may be in attendance also. The purpose of the camp is educational and also to exposure you to evaluation from current officials in those conferences. It is also our intent to have a classroom session before evaluation by staff and the four conference supervisors.

Rooms have been booked at the Sheraton Hotel if desired. Additional hotel information is included on the camp flyer.

If your have additional questions, please contact Peter Contreras by email or at (512) 393-1958 (cell) or at (512) 396-2853 (home) and Barry Roberts at (251) 747-4346 (cell) or (251) 970-1659.

Sincerely,

Peter Contreras
Web site for this camp?
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine1411
I am driving up from Atlanta for this camp. I will see you there.
Great!!!! Cant wait to meet you.