View Single Post
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
As I have mentioned in the past, I started officiating at age 45 and have been doing this for 5 years (just worked bad JH and YMCA games the first year) and joined a local chapter after that first year. Last year my schedule was about 45% varsity. Obviously at my advanced age (ONLY FOR OFFIATING ), I am not going to be picked up by a college assignor...that and I am not very athletic looking.

I have heard many on hear speak highly of the camp. So, my questions are; Is this camp that much better than the typical camp put on by a local organization? Is it worth traveling half way across the country if your only goal is getting better in HS ball?

If you are familiar with Tony Stigliano (sp), he has several camps locally that sound similar to this one. I was told last year that unless you are want college ball in your future, your experience with some of the staff would not be that useful...could just be a couple of "sour campers" talking.

Understand, I am not knocking HS ball or saying "woe is me, I can never call college"...I just understand that any openings with college assignors will go to younger officials. Heck, if I was in charge of hiring officials for a college conference I would take guys younger than me...they have a longer future and probably a better up side than a semi-hard headed old guy
I would go to Peter Contreras and Barry Roberts' camp in Dallas. It's a great learning camp with video breakdown and all the trimmings. -- In July sometime. Less travel time and money.