The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The Referee's Choice (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/34038-referees-choice.html)

IREFU2 Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:05am

The Referee's Choice

I just sent in my depost, anyone else going to Roanoke VA for this camp in June?

VaLadyRef Wed May 02, 2007 08:21pm

I sent in my deposit last week too. Is this your first year attending? I went last year and its a really great camp.

LongIslandZebra Thu May 03, 2007 09:16am

Do you have the information on the camp?

VaLadyRef Fri May 04, 2007 07:47am

LongIsland,
If you send me a pm with your email, I will forward the application and email from Mike Eades to you.

Ref54 Wed May 09, 2007 01:02pm

DO you care to send me the information on the camp as well? Thanks

IREFU2 Wed May 09, 2007 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref54
DO you care to send me the information on the camp as well? Thanks

The camp is probably full now. Last I talked with Eades, he said 10 slot were left. PM me and I will send you the stuff.

LarryS Wed May 09, 2007 03:11pm

As I have mentioned in the past, I started officiating at age 45 and have been doing this for 5 years (just worked bad JH and YMCA games the first year) and joined a local chapter after that first year. Last year my schedule was about 45% varsity. Obviously at my advanced age (ONLY FOR OFFIATING :) ), I am not going to be picked up by a college assignor...that and I am not very athletic looking.

I have heard many on hear speak highly of the camp. So, my questions are; Is this camp that much better than the typical camp put on by a local organization? Is it worth traveling half way across the country if your only goal is getting better in HS ball?

If you are familiar with Tony Stigliano (sp), he has several camps locally that sound similar to this one. I was told last year that unless you are want college ball in your future, your experience with some of the staff would not be that useful...could just be a couple of "sour campers" talking.

Understand, I am not knocking HS ball or saying "woe is me, I can never call college"...I just understand that any openings with college assignors will go to younger officials. Heck, if I was in charge of hiring officials for a college conference I would take guys younger than me...they have a longer future and probably a better up side than a semi-hard headed old guy :D

socalreff Wed May 09, 2007 06:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryS
As I have mentioned in the past, I started officiating at age 45 and have been doing this for 5 years (just worked bad JH and YMCA games the first year) and joined a local chapter after that first year. Last year my schedule was about 45% varsity. Obviously at my advanced age (ONLY FOR OFFIATING :) ), I am not going to be picked up by a college assignor...that and I am not very athletic looking.

I have heard many on hear speak highly of the camp. So, my questions are; Is this camp that much better than the typical camp put on by a local organization? Is it worth traveling half way across the country if your only goal is getting better in HS ball?

If you are familiar with Tony Stigliano (sp), he has several camps locally that sound similar to this one. I was told last year that unless you are want college ball in your future, your experience with some of the staff would not be that useful...could just be a couple of "sour campers" talking.

Understand, I am not knocking HS ball or saying "woe is me, I can never call college"...I just understand that any openings with college assignors will go to younger officials. Heck, if I was in charge of hiring officials for a college conference I would take guys younger than me...they have a longer future and probably a better up side than a semi-hard headed old guy :D

I would go to Peter Contreras and Barry Roberts' camp in Dallas. It's a great learning camp with video breakdown and all the trimmings. -- In July sometime. Less travel time and money.

socalreff Wed May 09, 2007 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalreff
I would go to Peter Contreras and Barry Roberts' camp in Dallas. It's a great learning camp with video breakdown and all the trimmings. -- In July sometime. Less travel time and money.

Dear Fellow Official,

In conjunction with the 2007 BCI National Tournament, a Women’s Basketball Officials Identification Camp will be conducted July 19-22, 2007 in Dallas, Texas. This is the fourth year for such a camp. Games will be played at City of Lewisville MET Center and Lewisville High School. The sites are near the D/FW Airport.

Becky Marshall, Coordinator of Officials for the Big XII Conference, Sun Belt Conference and Southland Conference will be in attendance along with Brenda Lawrence of the Southwest Athletic Conference (SWAC). Other conference supervisors may be in attendance also. The purpose of the camp is educational and also to exposure you to evaluation from current officials in those conferences. It is also our intent to have a classroom session before evaluation by staff and the four conference supervisors.

Rooms have been booked at the Sheraton Hotel if desired. Additional hotel information is included on the camp flyer.

If your have additional questions, please contact Peter Contreras by email or at (512) 393-1958 (cell) or at (512) 396-2853 (home) and Barry Roberts at (251) 747-4346 (cell) or (251) 970-1659.

Sincerely,

Peter Contreras

Engine1411 Tue May 15, 2007 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
I just sent in my depost, anyone else going to Roanoke VA for this camp in June?

I am driving up from Atlanta for this camp. I will see you there.

johnny1784 Thu May 17, 2007 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalreff
Dear Fellow Official,

In conjunction with the 2007 BCI National Tournament, a Women’s Basketball Officials Identification Camp will be conducted July 19-22, 2007 in Dallas, Texas. This is the fourth year for such a camp. Games will be played at City of Lewisville MET Center and Lewisville High School. The sites are near the D/FW Airport.

Becky Marshall, Coordinator of Officials for the Big XII Conference, Sun Belt Conference and Southland Conference will be in attendance along with Brenda Lawrence of the Southwest Athletic Conference (SWAC). Other conference supervisors may be in attendance also. The purpose of the camp is educational and also to exposure you to evaluation from current officials in those conferences. It is also our intent to have a classroom session before evaluation by staff and the four conference supervisors.

Rooms have been booked at the Sheraton Hotel if desired. Additional hotel information is included on the camp flyer.

If your have additional questions, please contact Peter Contreras by email or at (512) 393-1958 (cell) or at (512) 396-2853 (home) and Barry Roberts at (251) 747-4346 (cell) or (251) 970-1659.

Sincerely,

Peter Contreras

Web site for this camp?

IREFU2 Thu May 17, 2007 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine1411
I am driving up from Atlanta for this camp. I will see you there.

Great!!!! Cant wait to meet you.