The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Zero on the clock....No horn yet! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3396-zero-clock-no-horn-yet.html)

Rev.Ref63 Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:00pm

Third quarter winding down. A foul is called, the clock stops. The clock reads "00.00" but the horn had not blown yet.
The lane was cleared and the shooter was given her two throws. The quarter was called over.
Was that the correct call, or should we have allowed the players to line up and let the horn end the quarter?

devdog69 Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:17pm

Aaha! Great post Bob. Even though he didn't take my word on it, we'll find out what the "experts" say. There are several guys hanging out around here that know their stuff, even though we never totally agree on every little detail. Good to have you aboard.
Some background on the clock. It is definitely very slow to blow the horn, at least a second after it reads all zero's before it goes off.

devdog69 Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:26pm

oops, and gals too, sorry Julie

rainmaker Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by devdog69
oops, and gals too, sorry Julie
It'll take years of counselling, but I'll eventually learn to forgive you (insert cute little smilie here)

bob jenkins Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
Third quarter winding down. A foul is called, the clock stops. The clock reads "00.00" but the horn had not blown yet.
The lane was cleared and the shooter was given her two throws. The quarter was called over.
Was that the correct call, or should we have allowed the players to line up and let the horn end the quarter?

The period ends when the horn sounds. 5-6, 5.6C

By not lining up the players, you were depriving A (and, unlikely, B) of an opportunity to score if the second throw was missed.

devdog69 Mon Dec 10, 2001 01:08pm

That's what I told them Bob. I had stayed around after my games and watched. But no matter what we couldn't convince Rev's partner to let the horn decide the end, so I just gave up on her, you know how hard-headed those woman partners can be. Oops, there I go again, gotta be more careful.

Mark Dexter Mon Dec 10, 2001 01:22pm

This was handled incorrectly.

The quarter ends at the sounding of the horn (assuming it is an automatic horn) not even at 0.0000000000000000000000. Keep playing (with players lined up for the FT) until the horn goes off.

NFHS: 5-6

ScottParks Mon Dec 10, 2001 02:13pm

Unless you have definite knowledge of a timing error OR the table forgot to turn on the automatic horn!

Larks Mon Dec 10, 2001 03:18pm

Tap / Try

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
This was handled incorrectly.

The quarter ends at the sounding of the horn (assuming it is an automatic horn) not even at 0.0000000000000000000000. Keep playing (with players lined up for the FT) until the horn goes off.

NFHS: 5-6

Mark,

What about the legal tap / try issue with less than 0.3 If the clock shows 0.0 with no horn. The horn would sound at the time of the touch assuming the 2nd shot missed right? I probably agree with the fact that the quarter wasnt over until the horn but I would be interested to hear opinions on what would happen next? Is 0.0 enough time for a tap?

Larks

devdog69 Mon Dec 10, 2001 04:01pm

Yes that could be enough time for a tap. There is no time restriction in the rules for a tap, the .3 rule just means that it can't be a catch and shoot try with .3 or less.

rockyroad Mon Dec 10, 2001 04:01pm

Yes it is enough time for a tap...the clock will start when ball is touched - theoretically...what that means is that the timer has to push the little button - he/she can't do that any faster than the player can tap the ball toward his/her baslet...line them up for the shots...

Mark Padgett Mon Dec 10, 2001 04:33pm

IN your particular case, I would have checked with the table prior to the free throws. If the auto horn was on, then proceed normally. If it was off, assume the quarter was over because the horn would have sounded and clear the lane.

I know there's a dichotomy in there somewhere. :)

devdog69 Mon Dec 10, 2001 06:34pm

You are right in thinking of making sure about the autohorn. In this one, however we had been in the same gym for three days in this tournament and it had been the same all the time. We all knew it was on but just hadn't gone off yet. The first couple of times I kept hinting to the clock operator, thinking that she wasn't getting the clock going properly, but it became apparent that we simply had a really slow horn, and when we thought of it we pregamed it with the coaches.

Mark Dexter Mon Dec 10, 2001 08:34pm

A tap for goal is legal at any time prior to the horn.

One thing I have always argued is that the time required to start and stop the clock (not lag time - that refers to errors; I'm talking about the .2 seconds or so reaction of a good timer) is built in to the clock. That's just my personal philosophy, though.

The real reason this rule exists is because of clocks without tenths - they can show zero when there is really 0.9 left - plenty of time to get off a shot.

Larks Mon Dec 10, 2001 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
A tap for goal is legal at any time prior to the horn.

One thing I have always argued is that the time required to start and stop the clock (not lag time - that refers to errors; I'm talking about the .2 seconds or so reaction of a good timer) is built in to the clock. That's just my personal philosophy, though.

The real reason this rule exists is because of clocks without tenths - they can show zero when there is really 0.9 left - plenty of time to get off a shot.

Thanks Mark. Well said.