The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Some refs in our association insist that you must signal with the same hand as shown graphically in the NFHS rulebook. For example, the pictures for "stop clock" and "foul" show the RIGHT hand raised. These officials say it's not proper to raise the LEFT hand instead.

I can't see that it really matters. Can you?????
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

I try to raise the hand corresponding to the direction that I'm going to point. For example, if I'm trail, and team A is on my right, and they call timeout, I'll raise my right hand and point right. If, however, team B wants the TO, I'll raise my left hand, and point left. Team A travels - left hand up, signal travel, use left hand to point left. Keeps you from looking like your directing airplanes if you try to only use one hand.

I usually always raise my right hand for fouls, though.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'm left handed, so I usually raise my left hand on fouls. I really don't think this is a problem, as long as you get a hand up!
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

All the clinics.....

Ok, so it is only three so far, but ....

All the clinics I have participated in "Preach" that you use Danvrapp's identified method. I try, but have not been Completely "programmed" yet.!
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

When the ball goes OOB, I always stop and think, "which way are we going?" I then use that arm to stop the clock and point the direction.

I normally use my right arm for violations and fouls.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 04:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

As long as you don't use your middle leg, you're OK.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 07:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
When you get old,you're no longer a "pointer".You're a "setter".Please note the lack of a "smilie" attached.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 7th, 2001 at 06:16 PM]
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

I echo BBref. It makes it easier for me to do it that way and then I don't have to change hands (look like a traffic cop). I will predominately use my right hand (or should I say fist) for fouls. About 4 years ago I broke my right wrist and 2 fingers (slippery tile floor in church gym) and I had to learn to signal with my left. Cast covered the wrist and splints on the 2 fingers, Actually only missed a couple of weeks officiating and it worked out OK. Little tough signaling 1 & 1 -- used the 1st and last fingers sort of like the Texas Longhorn signal.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Schwinggg!!"

Quote:
I echo BBref. It makes it easier for me to do it that way and then I don't have to change hands (look like a traffic cop). I will predominately use my right hand (or should I say fist) for fouls.
Okay, I did it! I don't know how many we called tonight but there must have been 15 fouls called on the offensive teams tonight in our VB games. When I was at C or T, I made myself signal the foul with the FC fist and give the directional signal with the BC hand on several illegal screens and pushing fouls by the offense. It was much smoother and, I think, it looked smoother as well.

Old Sat Dec 08, 2001, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I was told at a couple of camps that you want to try to always keep your head facing the players. So if I am trail on the right side and have an OOB going the other direction I will stop the clock with my left hand and point with my left hand. If I am on the other side of the court I will use my right hand.

When I am at lead on whichever side of me the ball goes out on, I use that hand to stop the clock and point. I also pivot the direction I am pointing while keeping my head on the floor. We were told this makes sure that we always have our eyes on the players at all times. Especially on one of those loose balls with people diving all over the place or a blocked shot at the baseline where somebody thought they might have gotten fouled.

It's not easy to do and took me about a season to work it out. I spent a lot of time in the mirror but I usually get it right most of the time now.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2001, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

This is exactly what I was referring to. There are a lot of officials who turn their head, especially on the baseline. That's just asking for trouble.