View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

i am a younger official in my second year in officiating high school. i started officiating when i was 14. i already have 5 years under my belt, and learn from other very talented officials who also oficiate at the collegiate level. so i feel my knowledge of the game is very decent of the game of basketball. well since i am young, many people oftentimes even other officials can be pushy and try to act like they are "big time" one way or another. well, i officiated a game this past week, a game between 2 frosh teams. a varsity official whom i know his daughter was playing the varsity contest later that day. at halftime he walks into the locker room uninvited, , He comments to me that theirs alot of violations and that i need to call more of them. my take is, at the freshman girls level, which were weaker teams in the league as of girls basketball,I think its important to call the obvious, as well as any violations when an advantage is gained over the opponent, is when i blow the whistle, otherwise if its is subtle, and an advantage was not gained, then at the lower level of basketball, why call it and make a 2 hour game last 2.5 when you have triple headers scheduled through the night? my thing is to let the players play, the parents dont pay their 5 bucks to come watch us tweek the whistle, they come to watch their son, daughter. then he made the comment, "oh, and there was only 3 fouls on one team and 5 on the other. that is not enough for freshman games." i told him," if there is one foul all game, so be it. im not looking for fouls since we only had few of them." the thing is he has to consider that it was very laid back game, not much going on at the post nor on the blocks, much of what occured was outside, and very limited pressing occured, so there is no reason that the fouls that were called were totally unacceptable just because we had few. he also told me that," hey the coach is pretty upset with a few of your calls." I told him, " hes allowed to, hes a coach. I dont expect a coach to like or agree with every call i make throughout a game. if he wants an explanation and the time permits, ill explain it. if he wants to run his mouth, then i wont waste my breath." any suggestions as to how to handle this official and the future OFFICIATING TIPS he offfers as to how to deal with this official? this is not the first time hes tried to push his ways on me.