The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw in spot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3349-throw-spot.html)

Bchill24 Wed Dec 05, 2001 04:54pm

In a game last night, A-1 committed a player control foul, just inside the top of the free throw semi-circle. I administered the throw-in on the sideline. After the game my partner said it should have been on the end-line. Who is correct?

BktBallRef Wed Dec 05, 2001 05:02pm

Inside the circle, go to the baseline. Outside the circle, go to the sideline.

You always want to get it right, but, in my opinion, it's more important when the offended team is getting the ball under their basket. In your case, you're inbpounding in the BC, so it's not as big a deal.

JAdams Wed Dec 05, 2001 05:25pm

The Officials' Manual Will Help...

There's an easy-to-understand diagram in the Officials' Manual that clarifies the location of each throw-in based on where the violation occurred.

Hawks Coach Wed Dec 05, 2001 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef

You always want to get it right, but, in my opinion, it's more important when the offended team is getting the ball under their basket. In your case, you're inbpounding in the BC, so it's not as big a deal.

Depending on whether or not the opponent is pressing, it can make a difference in backcourt as well. I personally prefer to inbound on the baseline against the press (dont tell my opposing coaches!).

rockyroad Wed Dec 05, 2001 05:32pm

It should have been baseline...however, if that is all your partner had to point out after the game, you had a pretty good game!!

BktBallRef Wed Dec 05, 2001 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef

Depending on whether or not the opponent is pressing, it can make a difference in backcourt as well. I personally prefer to inbound on the baseline against the press (dont tell my opposing coaches!).

Oh, it's make a difference. But it's a huge advantage to a team to inbound the ball under their own basket.

At least, that's what a coach told me once. ;)

crew Wed Dec 05, 2001 06:34pm

i think the ball should be put into play at the nearest o.o.b. spot. was it closer to put the ball on the baseline or sidleine? you dont want to punish the d. for a good stop by putting them 15-20 ft back. it is basically a judgement decision, if you think it is closer to the baseline or sideline.

BktBallRef Wed Dec 05, 2001 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by crew
i think the ball should be put into play at the nearest o.o.b. spot. was it closer to put the ball on the baseline or sidleine? you dont want to punish the d. for a good stop by putting them 15-20 ft back. it is basically a judgement decision, if you think it is closer to the baseline or sideline.
It's not judgement, other than judging where the foul occurred. There's a diagram in the mechanics manual that tells you were the ball is to be inbounded from.

ChuckElias Thu Dec 06, 2001 09:42am

Not a judgment call

Quote:

Originally posted by crew
Sorry tony, but TH and the others are right. If the violation occurs in the free throw circle then the throw-in is made from the baseline. No ifs, ands, or judgments. Check out Page 21 of your "2001-2003 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual". It's clearly indicated there. You don't get to choose where the ball gets put into play.

chuck