The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Rocky,

Atleast tomorow should be an interesting game with Hernandez vs Matsuzaka
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ah, 14-3 today. Dice-K tomorrow. Snow on Thursday.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 09:34pm
M.A.S.H.

How about being able to watch a MLB game for 10 bucks. Sounds like a deal...
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

No more ties in baseball!

Those who like the odd quirks of baseball and follow the stats of the game should ponder this:

MIAMI (AP) -- It didn't take long for the first suspended game of the season under the new major league rule change.
The Florida Marlins' game against the Milwaukee Brewers was suspended after 10 innings and three rain delays Tuesday night with the score 2-2. Before this year, it would have become an official tie game and would have been replayed from the start. Because of the change made during the offseason, it will be resumed Wednesday night in the top of the 11th inning and be followed by the finale of the three-game series.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_y...410128&prov=ap
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Off - off-topic

I didn't want to start another off-topic thread, so I'll tell this story here. My wife and I were walking the dog Monday morning, when we saw 4 large birds circling overhead. We're used to seeing Peregrine Falcons around here, but these were not falcons. One landed in a tree near us and my wife thought it was a turkey vulture. We got home and looked it up online and, sure enough, it was a turkey vulture.

Why do I mention this here (other than to give "26 Year Gap" another reason to kid me about walking the dog)? Because in the article describing the turkey vultrue, we read the following:

Quote:
Its primary form of defense is vomiting. These birds do not "projectile vomit," as many would claim. They simply cough up a lump of semi-digested meat. This foul-smelling substance deters most creatures intent on raiding a vulture nest. It will also sting if the offending animal is close enough to get the vomit in its face or eyes.
They'll literally puke on your shoes!!! Are turkey vultures the ancient ancestors of basketball officials? Do turkey vultures also employ the dreaded "stare at their pants" defense? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 08:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
My wife and I were walking the dog Monday morning, when we saw 4 large birds circling overhead. We're used to seeing Peregrine Falcons around here, but these were not falcons. One landed in a tree near us and my wife thought it was a turkey vulture. We got home and looked it up online and, sure enough, it was a turkey vulture.
They must have seen you officiate before.

Don't feel bad. Every time I look out my window, I see buzzards circling my house.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I didn't want to start another off-topic thread, so I'll tell this story here. My wife and I were walking the dog Monday morning, when we saw 4 large birds circling overhead. We're used to seeing Peregrine Falcons around here, but these were not falcons. One landed in a tree near us and my wife thought it was a turkey vulture. We got home and looked it up online and, sure enough, it was a turkey vulture.

Why do I mention this here (other than to give "26 Year Gap" another reason to kid me about walking the dog)? Because in the article describing the turkey vultrue, we read the following:

They'll literally puke on your shoes!!! Are turkey vultures the ancient ancestors of basketball officials? Do turkey vultures also employ the dreaded "stare at their pants" defense? Inquiring minds want to know!
Wow, Chuck, sounds like you'll be taking your next PhD in paleo-ornithology. Cool!!
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Wow, Chuck, sounds like you'll be taking your next PhD in paleo-ornithology. Cool!!
C'mon, it's no big deal. In fact I hear these birds are so common they don't even count in undergrad ornithology class.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 10:54am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
C'mon, it's no big deal. In fact I hear these birds are so common they don't even count in undergrad ornithology class.
At least not in any college in Indiana...

Felix vs. Dice-K...could be interesting.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Cubs-Astros game scheduled for this afternoon has already been postponed, due to "wintry conditions".

Yoo-hoo...Mr. Gore?...

This winter stuff is becoming inconvenient, true?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 12:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Cubs-Astros game scheduled for this afternoon has already been postponed, due to "wintry conditions".
Maybe they'll move it to Milwaukee. Might have a little culture with their baseball too then.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Yoo-hoo...Mr. Gore?...

This winter stuff is becoming inconvenient, true?
Interesting article by an MIT weather guy. MIT is in Cambridge on Kendall Square, just across the river from Storrow Drive, which eventually takes you to Fenway Park, where the Red Sox play.

So enjoy this on-topic article!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17997788/site/newsweek/
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Interesting article by an MIT weather guy. MIT is in Cambridge on Kendall Square, just across the river from Storrow Drive, which eventually takes you to Fenway Park, where the Red Sox play.

So enjoy this on-topic article!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17997788/site/newsweek/
MIT, eh?

This guy can't be very smart. He doesn't live in Washington, DC or Hollywood, CA.

And thanks for keeping things on-topic!

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Maybe they'll move it to Milwaukee. Might have a little culture with their baseball too then.
By "culture", I assume you mean cheeze?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 02:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
By "culture", I assume you mean cheeze?
Well, that and brats and beer.