The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
What's the over/under on Bonds's jail time?
Ask Pete Rose.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Mariano Rivera is balking on a three-year, $45 million offer from the New York Yankees, and the sides have reached an impasse in talks that have revived the closer's call to seriously pursue other offers, Newsday reported Thursday.

Rivera is holding out for a fourth year guaranteed, but the Yankees aren't interested in allowing an extra year to be worked into the contract given the reliever's age, the newspaper reported.

=====================================

The Atlanta Braves offered Tom Glavine a contract Friday, the first attempt to reunite the free agent left-hander with the franchise he broke into the majors with 20 years ago.

Glavine's agent, Gregg Clifton, said Friday that Glavine would take less money to join the Braves. Clifton did not reveal terms of the contract. It is believed to be a one-year deal.

"Now, our intention is to prepare a counter-offer that we will give them by tonight," Clifton said.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Unhappy

Sad day in Cincy. Joe Nuxhall, who became famous as the youngest major leaguer ever, but became a legend as a Reds broadcaster, died yesterday after battling cancer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...mlb&id=3113405
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 01:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Boras gets a lot of money for his players.
He's shopping around for mo money for Kenney Rogers [43, P, DET].
Rogers fires agent Boras

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...19/1004/SPORTS

Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A-Rod may have done something similar.

Report: Buffett advised A-Rod to go around Boras
November 17, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Warren Buffett advised Alex Rodriguez to approach the New York Yankees and go around agent Scott Boras, The Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.
The newspaper cited a person familiar with the matter, whom it did not identify.
"A-Rod really loves being a Yankee," Buffett was quoted as saying. He wouldn't comment on the substance of any discussions with the player.
The two became friends several years ago.
Rodriguez, on Boras' advise, opted out of the final three seasons of his record $252 million, 10-year contract on Oct. 28. The Yankees had said many times that if he opted out, they wouldn't negotiate because they would lose $21.3 million from Texas for the final three seasons that was agreed to at the time of the 2004 trade, money to offset the $72 million New York owed from 2008-10.

Upset with developments after he opted out, Rodriguez contacted Buffett, and the investor told him to approach the Yankees without his agent, the Journal said.
After speaking with Buffet, Rodriguez contacted a managing director at Goldman Sachs that he knew, John Mallory, who then got in touch with Gerald Cardinale, a Goldman Sachs managing director who has worked with the Yankees and their YES Network. With the assistance of the two Goldman executives, Rodriguez and the Yankees negotiated a $275 million, 10-year contract that is in the process of being finalized. "This year was a magical season," Rodriguez told MLB.com. "The way things went, we came up a little short at the end. But other than that, I'm happy with the way the year went. My wife and I finally feel like we're New Yorkers."
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
A-Rod may have done something similar.

Report: Buffett advised A-Rod to go around Boras
November 17, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Warren Buffett advised Alex Rodriguez to approach the New York Yankees and go around agent Scott Boras, The Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.
The newspaper cited a person familiar with the matter, whom it did not identify.
"A-Rod really loves being a Yankee," Buffett was quoted as saying. He wouldn't comment on the substance of any discussions with the player.
The two became friends several years ago.
Rodriguez, on Boras' advise, opted out of the final three seasons of his record $252 million, 10-year contract on Oct. 28. The Yankees had said many times that if he opted out, they wouldn't negotiate because they would lose $21.3 million from Texas for the final three seasons that was agreed to at the time of the 2004 trade, money to offset the $72 million New York owed from 2008-10.

Upset with developments after he opted out, Rodriguez contacted Buffett, and the investor told him to approach the Yankees without his agent, the Journal said.
After speaking with Buffet, Rodriguez contacted a managing director at Goldman Sachs that he knew, John Mallory, who then got in touch with Gerald Cardinale, a Goldman Sachs managing director who has worked with the Yankees and their YES Network. With the assistance of the two Goldman executives, Rodriguez and the Yankees negotiated a $275 million, 10-year contract that is in the process of being finalized. "This year was a magical season," Rodriguez told MLB.com. "The way things went, we came up a little short at the end. But other than that, I'm happy with the way the year went. My wife and I finally feel like we're New Yorkers."
Long gone are the days when most players took to selling insurance, real estate and shoes in the off season.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

It looks like Yankees fans won't have to get used to a bunch of new faces after all.
As Alex Rodriguez and the team nears a new deal, Mariano Rivera told the Yankees on Monday that he will accept their three-year, $45 million contract offer.

Earlier this month, the Yankees agreed with longtime catcher Jorge Posada on a four-year, $52.4 million deal.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

The World Series MVP is staying with the Sox! 3 years and $37 mil or so. I'm pleasantly surprised that he turned down the 4-year offers from a couple other clubs.

I don't think anybody's mentioned it yet on here, but ARod won his 3rd AL MVP in the past 5 seasons. That's pretty amazing. He also led the AL this year in HRs (54), RBIs (156), and runs scored (143). Not a traditional "triple crown", but hugely impressive since only 4 other players have done that in the last 75 years (Maris, Mantle, Mize, Williams).
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
The World Series MVP is staying with the Sox! 3 years and $37 mil or so. I'm pleasantly surprised that he turned down the 4-year offers from a couple other clubs.
Beckett?
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me!
Beckett?
Nah, Beckett only appeared in one game in the World Series. I'm talking about the guy the Sox were "forced" to take as part of the deal that brought Mr. Beckett to Boston.

Quote:
Lowell followed a superlative regular season -- career highs in batting average (.324) and RBIs (120) to go with 21 home runs in 154 games -- with an outstanding October. In Boston's four-game sweep of Colorado, Lowell hit .400 (6-for-15) with four RBIs, three walks and a team-high six runs in winning the World Series.

He homered, doubled and scored twice in the Game 4 clincher at Denver's Coors Field en route to being named the World Series MVP.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Nah, Beckett only appeared in one game in the World Series. I'm talking about the guy the Sox were "forced" to take as part of the deal that brought Mr. Beckett to Boston.
Aha! I forgot.
The World Series is often special for a moderately known player.
Neat!
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Aha! I forgot.
The World Series is often special for a moderately known player.
Neat!
He was pretty damn well known in Boston this past season!
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I reckon he should be pretty darn well-known in Boston. I saw him play against Detroit a few times, and I saw him play in a world series game, too.
Very solid, but not very colorful. Kinda like that dull-green, short left field fence you got.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Kinda like that dull-green, short left field fence you got.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Yeah, Mick already said he's a moderately known player.