The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
AAU time again

Had a couple of AAU games this weekend, including a 15u championship. I mention this because 2 players of the winning team looked closer to 25 than 15. But there it is.

Play1: A1 dribbling downcourt. The ball bounces about 3 feet over his head, he regains control and continues on. Parents have a stroke TRAVEL! TRAVEL!! BLOW THE WHISTLE!!

Stupid monkeys.

Play 2: A1 shoots from 10 feet out, the ball's in the air and there's a loud slap. Gawd knows who or what was slapped but it wasn't the shooter. Parents (other team btw) can not believe their own ears. HOW CAN YOU MISS THAT! BLOW THE WHISTLE!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!?

Oh well, they both hate us. Stupid monkeys.

Best part of the game: eventual losing coach puts his arm around my waist and says "You're doing a great job, but I don't think the other coach is very happy with you."

Now there's a coach who knows how to work an official!

Last edited by Dan_ref; Sun Apr 01, 2007 at 10:47pm.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 11:03pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Had a couple of AAU games this weekend, including a 15u championship. I mention this because 2 players of the winning team looked closer to 25 than 15. But there it is.

Play1: A1 dribbling downcourt. The ball bounces about 3 feet over his head, he regains control and continues on. Parents have a stroke TRAVEL! TRAVEL!! BLOW THE WHISTLE!!

Stupid monkeys.

Play 2: A1 shoots from 10 feet out, the ball's in the air and there's a loud slap. Gawd knows who or what was slapped but it wasn't the shooter. Parents (other team btw) can not believe their own ears. HOW CAN YOU MISS THAT! BLOW THE WHISTLE!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!?

Oh well, they both hate us. Stupid monkeys.

Best part of the game: eventual losing coach puts his arm around my waist and says "You're doing a great job, but I don't think the other coach is very happy with you."

Now there's a coach who knows how to work an official!
Sometimes I need to be reminded why I don't work a single basketball game from March till November. And then someone is kind enough to do it for me.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 44
This may be very naive of me, but we don't have AAU or anything like it where I come from. Why are AAU games full of expontentially more insane people than high school games? What is it (or isn't it) about this brand of basketball?
__________________
See you in the funny pages!
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 02:44am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 226
Send a message via AIM to dave30
Everybody thinks their kid is the next Michael Jordan! It's one game after another where you are in close proximity to the fans and you see the same teams two times or more in one day (maybe back to back). For some reason, the fans are stupid, loud, and you notice them more. I guess not having a quality gym administrator is part of it. Sometimes the gym administrator will have a kid playing in the league and then he or she might get mad at you too! I've seen it happen!
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 02:59am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,591
Usually parents pay for their kids to play or they are sponsored by a company to go across the country to play basketball during the off season. AAU does not have the standards that a school will hold and someone who is not in the education system or has any training with kids or coaching can coach an AAU team.

I live in an area where we have a lot of HS leagues that are played. I can work games all summer and not work a single AAU game or tournament. HS leagues are much better to work in my opinion because the players are subjected to the standards of the school and the coach they will see during the school year. The teams are running the same offenses they will see during the season and they are trying to make a spot on the team as compared to trying to prove they are the better player when playing AAU games.

I cannot imagine going all summer long and not working a bunch of basketball. I would rather do that and know I will get paid than waste most of the summer on working baseball and the weather will completely change my daily plans.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 07:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio, cincinnati
Posts: 813
just finished AAU weekend number two.

13U finals boys
team A coach already has one T from my partner and I have talked to him about his antics since then and warned him he will get the second T if he continues intimating that we are calling a one sided game.
4 min to play fourth quarter. -
team A bigman goes to block a shot and bangs bodies with the shooter, He has been warned twice about him antics after calls, he immeadiatly rips his shirt out of his pants and stomps around. Whack-
We are shooting the Technical portion of the Free throws and from Team a Bench in between the attempts the entire gym could hear it, "I hope you can sleep at night after cheating these kids out of their game."
Whack and gone!
he naturally puts on a show on the way out and get applause from his fans.
one team was down 15 at this point (guess who).

AAU basketball brings out the worst in everyone.
earlier in the weekend I end up Whacking a Third grader -
He had something to say after every call - in the third quarter he tries to dribble through two defenders and looses the ball out of bounds - he turns to me and yells "you have to make a call ..D%&n it". I did!

Over all it isn't that bad I had 6 other games that were great not a problem in any - other than the Stupid Monkeys in the stands - but they are every where you just tend to notice them more here because you are usually in smaller venues.
don't pay attention to them and it isn't a problem.
penalize the insanity where you can and play ball..
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 08:55am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

I cannot imagine going all summer long and not working a bunch of basketball. I would rather do that and know I will get paid than waste most of the summer on working baseball and the weather will completely change my daily plans.

Peace
It's easy. Just think of the officiating money as a nice extra rather than something you rely upon and then it gets quite easy to take a few months off.

I dislocated my knee on January 19th and didn't work again until I did my first baseball last Saturday. I've worked three dates since then and the $445 I've earned almost covered my wife's day at Sam's Club and Target yesterday
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,910
I've been able to say no to all of these tournaments offered me so far. I hope I can hold out. That quick money just speaks to me for some reason. I think once I get the monkey off my back for one season, I'll be good for the rest of my career.
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
AAU basketball brings out the worst in everyone.
Actually this past weekend the players & coaches were great for me. Didn't complain at all. But that is unusual I'll admit.
Quote:
earlier in the weekend I end up Whacking a Third grader -
He had something to say after every call - in the third quarter he tries to dribble through two defenders and looses the ball out of bounds - he turns to me and yells "you have to make a call ..D%&n it". I did!
This kid wasn't born this way, he was trained by his parents & coaches. I once had a 6th grader demand that I "blow the f'ing whistle". I ejected him. The coach wanted to know why I just couldn't warn him. I told him to grow a f'ing backbone.
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,910
I used to say as a joke that AAU fees bought my whistle but not my game management. There are no warnings.
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,801
My favorite AAU moment was 6th grade girls. One girl (best on her team) kept on complaining after every call. I told her to knock it off, she just said "no" to me and kept complaining, so I T'ed her up.

After the game, the coach asked me what the T was for, and I explained it. He actually thanked me for calling the technical. Turns out the star player was also his daughter and, like many 13 year olds, had been developing quite the attitude.
__________________
"To win the game is great. To play the game is greater. But to love the game is the greatest of all."
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
It's easy. Just think of the officiating money as a nice extra rather than something you rely upon and then it gets quite easy to take a few months off.

I dislocated my knee on January 19th and didn't work again until I did my first baseball last Saturday. I've worked three dates since then and the $445 I've earned almost covered my wife's day at Sam's Club and Target yesterday
How does your wife keep it that low? There are trips where I would be happy for that amount.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio, cincinnati
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
the $445 I've earned almost covered my wife's day at Sam's Club and Target yesterday
That was at each store?

If at only one store can we wife swap cause mine is good for $150.00 per grand kid and number 8 is on the way?
I can not work enough games to keep up with her.
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
It's easy. Just think of the officiating money as a nice extra rather than something you rely upon and then it gets quite easy to take a few months off.
My point is the basketball games are not going to get cancelled. If I have a baseball game in the afternoon and it rained the night before, I do not have to wonder or make 20 phone calls to find out if the game is cancelled.

I also go to a lot of camps so I want to see some basketball before and even after the camps are over to work on things or just to see more plays. I just do not have to work AAU to do that.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:54am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
That was at each store?

If at only one store can we wife swap cause mine is good for $150.00 per grand kid and number 8 is on the way?
I can not work enough games to keep up with her.
Nah, total. She's not a spendy person, so I wonder what she bought yesterday. I didn't even ask, to be honest.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster SoInZebra Basketball 122 Mon Mar 26, 2007 04:10pm
time expired/time outs cloverdale Basketball 14 Tue Feb 15, 2005 01:06am
Another long time listener, first time caller Fifth And Goal Basketball 11 Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:30am
Lag time when coach calls time out JeffTheRef Basketball 6 Mon Jan 12, 2004 03:43pm
When is it time to call Time / Dead ball? Deion Softball 1 Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:50am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1