The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Question

I do not believe there is a site that will list every official that is in the NCAA tournament, however just check boxscores everyday, and the officials should be listed.

I can say that all of the officials that worked a conference championship game get an automatic invite to the tournament.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think anyone, anywhere, except the officials and the persons who assigned them, know who's officiating what game.

An interesting (short) article found on ESPN regarding NCAA officials and that exact conflict of interest:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaato...ory?id=2014809
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 12:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

See the "hartzell not working" thread. His decision not to officiate in this tournament had nothing to do with any phantom "conflict of interest." He did it because he'd been asked to do games the same day UNI plays. It was a conflict of schedule, not of interest.
ESPN's reporting is horridly sloppy here. Interesting how they try to give themselves credit for taking a ref out of the tournament.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
See the "hartzell not working" thread. His decision not to officiate in this tournament had nothing to do with any phantom "conflict of interest." He did it because he'd been asked to do games the same day UNI plays. It was a conflict of schedule, not of interest.
ESPN's reporting is horridly sloppy here. Interesting how they try to give themselves credit for taking a ref out of the tournament.
We'll never know exactly why Hartzell bowed out. I'd be willing to be that the conflict of interest BS played a part in the decision. Both sides will say what benefits them in the media, but I'm willing to bet that both the NCAA and UNI wanted the story to go away. Even if there were no pressure on Hartzell from either of them, I'd bet that he considered the potential negative impact on his school when making the decision.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 01:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
We'll never know exactly why Hartzell bowed out. I'd be willing to be that the conflict of interest BS played a part in the decision. Both sides will say what benefits them in the media, but I'm willing to bet that both the NCAA and UNI wanted the story to go away. Even if there were no pressure on Hartzell from either of them, I'd bet that he considered the potential negative impact on his school when making the decision.
We can only go by what he said. I heard him on the radio this morning say specifically that it was solely about being able to be present in support of his teams. He's got wrestlers today and the basketball team tomorrow.
He stated explicitly that it had nothing to do with any of the crap going around. I think he's received enough support from the people that really matter (assignors, other officials, etc.) When asked about the folks on the national scale that might claim they got to him, he said they'd be wrong.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 04:39pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

You can view a list of officials working the tournament at Officiating.com here: NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Officials

[Edited by Brad on Mar 17th, 2005 at 04:52 PM]
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
You can view a list of officials working the tournament at Officiating.com here: NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Officials
Cool!

Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 09:56pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Our memberships and products help pay for this FREE site. Something to consider.

[Edited by Brad on Mar 17th, 2005 at 10:11 PM]
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Of course, the free content and traffic you get on this site promotes the pay site.

Just sayin'.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 10:26pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Sure. And it shouldn't be a surprise that we are trying to be profitable! That's the only way to offer quality officiating products and services to the market.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2005, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin

I can say that all of the officials that worked a conference championship game get an automatic invite to the tournament.
Are you sure about this?

I know each automatic bid conference is guaranteed at least one official from their regular staff to work the tourney, but does it extend to conference championships, too? (32 auto-bid conferences x 3 officials = 96 officials. Even with some overlap, that means there would be very few 'at-large' ref bids.)
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Cool!

Besides paying, is there another place that has a list of the tourney officials? My wife has this big slob at her work who says he officiates D1 and I can't find him anywhere when I google him. He always name drops but I've checked with some of those people and they don't know him. I would like to print the list so she can shut him once and for all. This guy is so big he couldn't keep up with 3 on 3 half court.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Post Here are the officials who have worked so far:

Alabama A&M - Oakland: Bruce Benedict, Terry Wymer, Jeff Clark

Eastern Kentucky - Kentucky: Bill Gracey, John Higgins, Winston Stith
Wisconsin Milwaukee - Alabama: Bob Staffen, Gary Sanchez, Mike Thibodeaux
Pittsburgh - Pacific: Gary Maxwell, Mark Whitehead, William Covington
Niagara - Oklahoma: Bruce Benedict, Steve Morris, Tony Greene
Iowa - Cincinnati: Doug Sirmons, Mark Reischling, Tom Lopes
Pennsylvania - Boston College: Antonio Petty, Mike Eggers, Tom O'Neill
Montana - Washington: Guy Pagano, John Corio, Pat Driscoll
UTEP - Utah: Art Mcdonald, JD Collins, Bob Donato
UT-Chattanooga - Wake Forest: Dave Libbey, Ray Perone, Steve Skiles
Nevada - Texas: John Hughes, Ken Ditty, Mike Kitts
Utah State - Arizona: Donnie Gray, Doug Shows, Mike Stuart
Winthrop - Gonzaga: Les Jones, Steve Welmer, Tim Clougherty
Creighton - West Virginia: Gerald Boudreaux, Jeff Nichols, Pat Adams
Fairleigh Dickinson - Illinois: Bert Smith, David Hall, Fran Connolly
UAB - LSU: Brian O'Connell, Jim Burr, Sid Rodeheffer
UCLA - Texas Tech: John Cahill, Mike Wood, Zelton Steed
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I just wanted to throw out a great job to the officials who called the Illinois game last night. They did an excellent job. I hope they go far in the tournament. Fairleigh Dickinson - Illinois: Bert Smith, David Hall, Fran Connolly

Go Illini!
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Aces-->

Would you be willing to continue a day-by-day recap of the officials for each game in this thread? It's much appreciated, and sure would be easier than having to click on every box score each night.