The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 08:44am
Patience is important

Technical Foul Admin

A large number of officials believe that the players must retreat to behind the half court line for administration of a intentional or technical foul shots.
I have seen this at all levels, NBA, College and high school, so that is why I have administered it this way and no one has ever told me I was doing anything wrong. I even beleive I was told by our rules interpreter that this was the proper way to handle the other 9 players, as the calling referee administers the shot and the other referee keeps control of the 9 players.

Rule 9-1-8 only addresses the fact of players not occupying lane spaces must be behind the three point line above the free throw line extended.
But the intentional/technical foul penalty does not say the lane spaces must be clear.

Any one have any other comments or rule situtions on this?
I have searched through the case book and rule book for other adminstration with no luck.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng
A large number of officials believe that the players must retreat to behind the half court line for administration of a intentional or technical foul shots.
I have seen this at all levels, NBA, College and high school, so that is why I have administered it this way and no one has ever told me I was doing anything wrong. I even beleive I was told by our rules interpreter that this was the proper way to handle the other 9 players, as the calling referee administers the shot and the other referee keeps control of the 9 players.

Rule 9-1-8 only addresses the fact of players not occupying lane spaces must be behind the three point line above the free throw line extended.
But the intentional/technical foul penalty does not say the lane spaces must be clear.

Any one have any other comments or rule situtions on this?
I have searched through the case book and rule book for other adminstration with no luck.
See Rule 8-1-3. Since the team shooting the FTs will get the ball back, the ball becomes dead after the last free throw. Thus nobody will occupy any spaces along the free throw lane.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:04am
Lighten up, Francis.

NFHS 8-1-3 says that if the ball is to remain dead after the final free throw, then the lane spaces shall be unoccupied.

8-1-5 says that any non-shooter who is not in a marked space must be behind the FT line extended and outside the 3-point arc. Other than that, there are no requirements for where they can stand. IOW, your interpreter did done ya wrong.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I even beleive I was told by our rules interpreter that this was the proper way to handle the other 9 players, as the calling referee administers the shot and the other referee keeps control of the 9 players.
I don't think this is correct. I usually treat the FT administration like any other foul called, meaning the calling official stays table side. Now on occassion if the coach is fuming, I may rotate opposite table, just so I don't have to hit that coach again, or just to let things simmer down.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I don't think this is correct. I usually treat the FT administration like any other foul called, meaning the calling official stays table side. Now on occassion if the coach is fuming, I may rotate opposite table, just so I don't have to hit that coach again, or just to let things simmer down.
Or if I see my partner is fuming or turning beet red, I may come over chat with him and then rotate with him, while the 3rd is administering the FTs.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

It is not required for the the calling official to go administer the free throws, but it is an option. There are times when good game managment includes getting an official away from a coach for a while. I've done it both ways on a T. This is a great thing to pregame (but then what isn't?)
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I think some of the concept of having players at mid court came from trying to resolve a potentially hostile situation.

I had done it that way for a long time without asking why and now I have been actually following the rulebook but have reminded players that they may confer with their coach as long as they stay legal (outside the arc and FT line extended)

It seems the kids just line up at half court automatically.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Someone, sometime, on this forum suggested that the best place for the players would be along the sidelines talking to their coach. I liked this idea - what better use of the time than to let the coaches turn everyone's attention back to the task at hand.

I had a situation where I should have switched with my partner. He T'd up a coach and was still receiving grief as I administered the FTs... he ended up ejecting the coach and I ended up telling myself that I should have displaced my partner [2-man] so that at least the 2nd T came from me and mostly likely it could have been avoided. It seems to me that if the T is directed at the coach, then administering the FTs is best left to the official who called the T.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A large number of officials believe that the players must retreat to behind the half court line for administration of a intentional or technical foul shots. ...