View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng
A large number of officials believe that the players must retreat to behind the half court line for administration of a intentional or technical foul shots.
I have seen this at all levels, NBA, College and high school, so that is why I have administered it this way and no one has ever told me I was doing anything wrong. I even beleive I was told by our rules interpreter that this was the proper way to handle the other 9 players, as the calling referee administers the shot and the other referee keeps control of the 9 players.

Rule 9-1-8 only addresses the fact of players not occupying lane spaces must be behind the three point line above the free throw line extended.
But the intentional/technical foul penalty does not say the lane spaces must be clear.

Any one have any other comments or rule situtions on this?
I have searched through the case book and rule book for other adminstration with no luck.
See Rule 8-1-3. Since the team shooting the FTs will get the ball back, the ball becomes dead after the last free throw. Thus nobody will occupy any spaces along the free throw lane.