The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Last Dance by John Feinstein

I flew out to Vegas last week and picked this up in the airport bookstore...it is excellent. Story of the 2005 Final Four with a whole chapter on the Referees. Storys about Hank Nicholl's and how Mr. Rose, as an altrnate official, saved a very veteran crew from sending the wrong player to shoot free throws. All in all a very entertaining book
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

John Feinstein spends an inordinate amount of time in his books talking about bad calls by officials. At least in this one he digs a little deeper and finds out the whole story, instead of just taking a coach's word for what happened.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
John Feinstein spends an inordinate amount of time in his books talking about bad calls by officials. At least in this one he digs a little deeper and finds out the whole story, instead of just taking a coach's word for what happened.
I have read "A March to Madness" and I'm in the middle of "The Last Amateurs". I haven't found anything out of line.

I guess I'll have to check out the one listed above too. I'm a big Feinstein fan.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I have read all of John Feinstein's non-fiction sports books, and I can't remember him bashing officiating. Maybe I'm wrong.

I believe "The Last Amateurs" is about the Patriot League, if I am not mistaken, and Feinstein did the official scorebook at some Patriot League games. I am sure he knew he was part of the officiating team.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
I have read all of John Feinstein's non-fiction sports books, and I can't remember him bashing officiating. Maybe I'm wrong.

I believe "The Last Amateurs" is about the Patriot League, if I am not mistaken, and Feinstein did the official scorebook at some Patriot League games. I am sure he knew he was part of the officiating team.
I haven't read any of his books, but I do know he wrote that Bobby Knight story, or one of them. I vaguely remember either on this forum or on a sports talk radio show with Feinstein where Knight personally blames a certain official for totally jobbing him.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I haven't read any of his books, but I do know he wrote that Bobby Knight story, or one of them. I vaguely remember either on this forum or on a sports talk radio show with Feinstein where Knight personally blames a certain official for totally jobbing him.
A Season on the Brink
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Great author - actually discusses the officiating (pretty neutrally) in most of his books.

I'm actually in the middle of A Civil War right now. Pretty good book - I just wish I had more time to read it.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
I don't really see that....I've read a lot of his books, and to suggest he has it in for officials isn't really fair IMO.

"Season on the Brink" is about Bob Knight - basketball's version of John McEnroe - so OF COURSE there's going to be negative ref-talk. I believe the ref he specifically mentioned was Tom Rucker.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
I don't really see that....I've read a lot of his books, and to suggest he has it in for officials isn't really fair IMO.
I didn't mean to say that he has it in for officials. The basketball books I've read by him seems to have coaches complaining about officials (what else is new), but little in the way of rebuttal. From a writer that seems to carefully research everything, this didn't seem balanced.

I haven't read "The Last Amateurs" yet; I was refering to "A Season on the Brink" (he seems to blame the officiating for the Pan Am games incident) and "A March to Madness". I seem to recall a chapter on the quality of ACC officiating having gone down since the NBA raided their staff when the NBA went to 3-man.

Maybe this is just something that stuck out in my mind. Or a senior moment.