The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:33pm

Why isn't uniform rule being enforced at the end of game?

Taking off the jersey's on the playing court, or pumping your shirt out after a big win. I know this is unsportsmanlike conduct in Fed., and I believe the rule is the same in NCAA. Players are clearly taking there shirts off before the referee's have left the court and none of the NCAA officials are calling it.

At the end of the Winona State game, players started taking there shirts off throwing it in the air. One shirt hit a Winona player in the head before they shook hands. He had to throw it off. I know the officials where still on the court because they had to review the last second play. I'm seeing to much of this at the end of these games. Even at the end of HS games. Players are taking there shirts off, pumping their chests, etc.

I must say, I would be hard pressed to call that technical, knowing it would change the outcome of the game. My question is, why are we turning our backs to this? Or, is this even a problem you would ever try to administer? I know we can go back and forward on this, but I'm interested in hearing different opinions on this subject.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The rule isn't the same in the NCAA, for one.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
...and I believe the rule is the same in NCAA.
The rule isn't the same. There is no corresponding rule in NCAA.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

its called enjoying the moment -- what do you expect players to quietly just smile and walk off like its an every day thing.

i think this is idiotic post #531. nice streak -- even Ripken Jr. would be nervous at the rate you are going
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 02:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I must say, I would be hard pressed to call that technical, knowing it would change the outcome of the game.

My question is, why are we turning our backs to this?
You answered your own question...
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
its called enjoying the moment -- what do you expect players to quietly just smile and walk off like its an every day thing.

i think this is idiotic post #531. nice streak -- even Ripken Jr. would be nervous at the rate you are going
So because they are enjoying the moment, you say to ignore the rules. In the Fed., this was a point of emphasis, I believe it was last year, might have been this year. If the kids are pumping there shirt chest out, in the face of the opponent after winning the game. You don't think this is unsportsmanlike? If they where to do it in the game, it would be a T but after the game, it's okay.

In Fed., if the player was to pull his shirt tail out as he's going off the court to go sit on the bench, this is a T, but when the games over and they do this and the officials have not left the court, we turn our heads.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. It's not the rule in college.
2. I hadn't thought about whether to call this in HS. I can't imagine calling it, and 99.9% of the time, I've got back back turned because I'm heading off the court with my partners when the game is over. I can't imagine they want us inserting ourselves into post-game celebrations. It's different than a coach or player hunting you down and cussing you out. I'd have to see how the fed rule is worded, though.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So because they are enjoying the moment, you say to ignore the rules. In the Fed., this was a point of emphasis, I believe it was last year, might have been this year. If the kids are pumping there shirt chest out, in the face of the opponent after winning the game. You don't think this is unsportsmanlike? If they where to do it in the game, it would be a T but after the game, it's okay.

In Fed., if the player was to pull his shirt tail out as he's going off the court to go sit on the bench, this is a T, but when the games over and they do this and the officials have not left the court, we turn our heads.
First of all there is no such rule at the NCAA Rule. So there is no rule to ignore as it relates to this situation.

Secondly, if you are doing your job, you are not on the floor or watching this. I know if a game ends like this it is time to leave the court. This is not something I am looking to call or looking for. Sorry, but I am not staying on the court to watch every celebration at the end of a game.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
First of all there is no such rule at the NCAA Rule. So there is no rule to ignore as it relates to this situation.

Secondly, if you are doing your job, you are not on the floor or watching this. I know if a game ends like this it is time to leave the court. This is not something I am looking to call or looking for. Sorry, but I am not staying on the court to watch every celebration at the end of a game.

Peace
Good thing to know about the NCAA. I'm pretty sure that in the NCAA if you take your jersey off in the game and throw it up in the air, that that's a T. Let's say that the game is not over and further review of the monitor shows the shooter did not get the shot off in time. Now, what do you do? Just let the players go collect their shirts and put them back on with no additional penality?

I agree with you, I'm getting off the floor too but I'm wondering if we are not all employing a double standard here. Some rules we're going to enforce and other rules we going to let go because the game is over. Where does that end? I'm not going to enforce the rule because the guy scored the basket.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I thought in some earlier posts that OS stated he worked NCAA.... If he has, then he should know the rule....

Hmmmmmmmm
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If the kids are pumping there shirt chest out, in the face of the opponent after winning the game. You don't think this is unsportsmanlike? If they where to do it in the game, it would be a T but after the game, it's okay.
This could be taunting, but I'd have to be there.
There's precedent for this, in that there are lots of things that are T's during the game but aren't once it's over.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Old Schmuck said that if it affects the outcome of the game, he isn't going to call it...then he bemoans the fact that it isn't being called...what a moron.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Old Schmuck said that if it affects the outcome of the game, he isn't going to call it...then he bemoans the fact that it isn't being called...what a moron.
Just looking for opinions, figured I play both sides of the aisle to stimulate the discussion.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Just to stimulate discussion: Is calling Old School a stupid monkey insulting to monkeys everywhere?

Or do monkeys just laugh when he screeches too?