The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

timing belt pack...

Any reason they don't use the precision timing mechanism for NCAA tournament games? I don't recall a lot of timing issues in the tournament, but you would think for the highest profile games the sport has, they would use them.

They've been using them in our high school championships for a few years now, it seems that the NCAA would catch on.

It was just an observation. Interested to hear other people's thoughts.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:05pm
M.A.S.H.

I actually spoke with Mike Costabile after the first weekend of the tournament. Great guy! We got on the topic about several timing issues they had during the opening rounds. Basically he said the NCAA didn't want to give up the money to have PTS at the sites.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully, after all the issues they've had this year, they'll spend the money. It's not like they don't have it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:14pm
M.A.S.H.

I agree. If this year isn't free advertising for the system, I don't know what is.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
you know thats so weird. You would think at all the arena's they are at would be euipt with it. I have always wanted to wear one of those little black boxes, they look so cool.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:19pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
you know thats so weird. You would think at all the arena's they are at would be euipt with it. I have always wanted to wear one of those little black boxes, they look so cool.
It's not the arenas. They are placed accordingly in arenas that have a contract with PT, which are most of the major conferences. So it's not that the arenas can't use the system (in terms of operating capable), it's that they don't have a contract to use the system.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
It's not the arenas. They are placed accordingly in arenas that have a contract with PT, which are most of the major conferences. So it's not that the arenas can't use the system (in terms of operating capable), it's that they don't have a contract to use the system.
Wow - that's really interesting information. I was about to start compiling a list of which stadia do and don't have the PT system already in place. Guess there's no need at this point. I, for one, always just assumed that you bought the system and that was that.

I'm sure that Costabile doesn't want to give up any of his trade secrets, but did he perhaps drop any hints as to how much the licensing/contract fee would be for the entire tourney? I can't think it's enough to be prohibitive to the NCAA.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

As way of comparison, I believe the current NCAA contract with CBS gives the NCAA $545 million/year (averaged over the term of the contract).

ALL of the D-I championships added together cost about $40 million.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:50pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Wow - that's really interesting information. I was about to start compiling a list of which stadia do and don't have the PT system already in place. Guess there's no need at this point. I, for one, always just assumed that you bought the system and that was that.

I'm sure that Costabile doesn't want to give up any of his trade secrets, but did he perhaps drop any hints as to how much the licensing/contract fee would be for the entire tourney? I can't think it's enough to be prohibitive to the NCAA.
He didn't really say what it costs. I have to agree with you that it can't be that much compared to everything else and what's on the line.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

I would think that CBS might even be willing to pay for the use of the PT system. I'd bet that the producers HATE every time the refs go to the monitor to correct a timing (not timer's ) mistake that could have been prevented.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

It's politics, not money.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I would think that CBS might even be willing to pay for the use of the PT system. I'd bet that the producers HATE every time the refs go to the monitor to correct a timing (not timer's ) mistake that could have been prevented.
I would think that CBS would like all the game interruptions to check the monitor for timiing issues...that's just another chance to run a commercial!
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
I would think that CBS would like all the game interruptions to check the monitor for timiing issues...that's just another chance to run a commercial!
Except they usually don't go to commercial (unless they happen to do the review during a team-called or media TO) because they don't know how long the review is going to take.

Also, at the end of a close game, they want their audience to be happy by finding out how the game ends!
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of commercials, I'm still unsure as to whose country this is...
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
Speaking of commercials, I'm still unsure as to whose country this is...
Damn you.

I was just getting that tune outta my head, and now you put it back in there.

(Used with permission.)