The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   timing belt pack... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33096-timing-belt-pack.html)

The New Guy Sun Mar 25, 2007 07:00pm

timing belt pack...

Any reason they don't use the precision timing mechanism for NCAA tournament games? I don't recall a lot of timing issues in the tournament, but you would think for the highest profile games the sport has, they would use them.

They've been using them in our high school championships for a few years now, it seems that the NCAA would catch on.

It was just an observation. Interested to hear other people's thoughts.

tjones1 Sun Mar 25, 2007 07:05pm

I actually spoke with Mike Costabile after the first weekend of the tournament. Great guy! We got on the topic about several timing issues they had during the opening rounds. Basically he said the NCAA didn't want to give up the money to have PTS at the sites.

BktBallRef Sun Mar 25, 2007 07:08pm

Hopefully, after all the issues they've had this year, they'll spend the money. It's not like they don't have it.

tjones1 Sun Mar 25, 2007 07:14pm

I agree. If this year isn't free advertising for the system, I don't know what is.

TRef21 Sun Mar 25, 2007 07:16pm

you know thats so weird. You would think at all the arena's they are at would be euipt with it. I have always wanted to wear one of those little black boxes, they look so cool.

tjones1 Sun Mar 25, 2007 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRef21
you know thats so weird. You would think at all the arena's they are at would be euipt with it. I have always wanted to wear one of those little black boxes, they look so cool.

It's not the arenas. They are placed accordingly in arenas that have a contract with PT, which are most of the major conferences. So it's not that the arenas can't use the system (in terms of operating capable), it's that they don't have a contract to use the system.

Mark Dexter Sun Mar 25, 2007 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
It's not the arenas. They are placed accordingly in arenas that have a contract with PT, which are most of the major conferences. So it's not that the arenas can't use the system (in terms of operating capable), it's that they don't have a contract to use the system.

Wow - that's really interesting information. I was about to start compiling a list of which stadia do and don't have the PT system already in place. Guess there's no need at this point. I, for one, always just assumed that you bought the system and that was that.

I'm sure that Costabile doesn't want to give up any of his trade secrets, but did he perhaps drop any hints as to how much the licensing/contract fee would be for the entire tourney? I can't think it's enough to be prohibitive to the NCAA.

Mark Dexter Sun Mar 25, 2007 07:39pm

As way of comparison, I believe the current NCAA contract with CBS gives the NCAA $545 million/year (averaged over the term of the contract).

ALL of the D-I championships added together cost about $40 million.

tjones1 Sun Mar 25, 2007 07:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Wow - that's really interesting information. I was about to start compiling a list of which stadia do and don't have the PT system already in place. Guess there's no need at this point. I, for one, always just assumed that you bought the system and that was that.

I'm sure that Costabile doesn't want to give up any of his trade secrets, but did he perhaps drop any hints as to how much the licensing/contract fee would be for the entire tourney? I can't think it's enough to be prohibitive to the NCAA.

He didn't really say what it costs. I have to agree with you that it can't be that much compared to everything else and what's on the line.

Mark Dexter Sun Mar 25, 2007 07:53pm

I would think that CBS might even be willing to pay for the use of the PT system. I'd bet that the producers HATE every time the refs go to the monitor to correct a timing (not timer's :cool: ) mistake that could have been prevented.

BktBallRef Sun Mar 25, 2007 08:13pm

It's politics, not money.

jeffpea Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I would think that CBS might even be willing to pay for the use of the PT system. I'd bet that the producers HATE every time the refs go to the monitor to correct a timing (not timer's :cool: ) mistake that could have been prevented.

I would think that CBS would like all the game interruptions to check the monitor for timiing issues...that's just another chance to run a commercial!

Mark Dexter Mon Mar 26, 2007 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea
I would think that CBS would like all the game interruptions to check the monitor for timiing issues...that's just another chance to run a commercial!

Except they usually don't go to commercial (unless they happen to do the review during a team-called or media TO) because they don't know how long the review is going to take.

Also, at the end of a close game, they want their audience to be happy by finding out how the game ends!

TriggerMN Mon Mar 26, 2007 02:27pm

Speaking of commercials, I'm still unsure as to whose country this is...:confused:

M&M Guy Mon Mar 26, 2007 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriggerMN
Speaking of commercials, I'm still unsure as to whose country this is...:confused:

Damn you.

I was just getting that tune outta my head, and now you put it back in there. :D