The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
He lost control of the ball - can't travel without control.
Maybe I saw the replay wrong.....or am remembering the sequence of events wrong....

After he lost the ball, he re-gained control with both feet down. Okay. He then pivoted on his right foot away from the hoop.....stopped....then pivoted back towards the hoop on his LEFT foot.

Did I see it wrong? Am I missing something?

Because if I didn't - isn't that a travel?

Somebody please set me straight if need be......I am pretty tired, so maybe saw things wrong.

Is it on YouTube yet?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

It would have been a travel had he returned his right foot to the floor before releasing the shot. See 4.44.3 Situation C in the Case book, basically the same play.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
I just wrote CBS on their feedback link regarding this.
So did I. I cannot believe all of them still think that. 20 minutes later they are saying the same thing. You'd thing someone would have set them straight.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsatchmo
It would have been a travel had he returned his right foot to the floor before releasing the shot. See 4.44.3 Situation C in the Case book, basically the same play.
Ah yes......now I remember.....
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
After he lost the ball, he re-gained control with both feet down. Okay. He then pivoted on his right foot away from the hoop.....stopped....then pivoted back towards the hoop on his LEFT foot.
You saw it right, but you have to realize that, by rule - there is only 1 pivot foot in this situation - the foot on which he is actually pivoting doesn't matter.

His right foot is the pivot foot. Once he lifts that up, the left foot coming down doesn't matter, as long as the right foot doesn't return to the floor before the shot is released.

Remember - these are the same announcers who will often see a player take 3-4 steps on a drive to the basket, but then think that a travel should not have been called.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

He regained possession, established his right foot as his pivot foot, pivoted, stepped with his left foot, lifted his right foot and shot.

That is 100% legal.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
He regained possession, established his right foot as his pivot foot, pivoted, stepped with his left foot, lifted his right foot and shot.

That is 100% legal.
THAT part I get.....my mistake was somehow thinking his foot came back down before the shot....
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm at work tonight...all the guys are telling me Georgetown should not have won..."the announcers said the player traveled at the end of the game on the shot."

I went to CBS on demand (watched on computer)...they showed the play...the two talking heads said it was "CLEARLY" a travel, because the player lifted his pivot foot.

Do you think there will be a retraction by all these "know-it-alls" when they actually find out the rule?
Richland, WA
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Wow so now the CBS guys have switched saying he lifted his right foot half a milimeter and brought it down again before pivoting. Way to bail yourselves out guys. If they call that a travel then pretty much every single play is a travel.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Uh-oh, Billy Packer just said it wasn't a travel!

Now they're showing him lifting his pivot foot during the pivot and returning it to the floor. Still doesn't excuse that they were calling it a travel on the lifting of the pivot foot for the shot.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
THAT part I get.....my mistake was somehow thinking his foot came back down before the shot....
now kellog is saying it was a travel because green lifted his pivot foot as he was pivoting. is anyone buying this explanation?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Just watched this in slow motion during the USC/UNC game. After he retained control of the ball. His right foot is clearly the pivot. During his move to the left his right foot is lifted (just slightly) and is placed on the floor again. It was then raised again for the lay up to the basket. Travel.

I felt that the slight lift was caused by a knee and push from behind.

Without slow motion this would have clearly been a very hard travel to see and call with number of players around.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
I'm at work tonight...all the guys are telling me Georgetown should not have won..."the announcers said the player traveled at the end of the game on the shot."

I went to CBS on demand (watched on computer)...they showed the play...the two talking heads said it was "CLEARLY" a travel, because the player lifted his pivot foot.

Do you think there will be a retraction by all these "know-it-alls" when they actually find out the rule?
Nope. I just got off the phone with CBS sports and they are maintaining he lifted it twice and it was therefore a travel. I think they are calling that little slide the travel, even though Davis et al were all referring to him lifting his pivot foot off the floor to shoot.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Of course they do not say "we were wrong with what we first said, but it was still a travel," they just say it was a travel cuz of lifting it twice.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Of course they do not say "we were wrong with what we first said, but it was still a travel," they just say it was a travel cuz of lifting it twice.
I couldn't agree more.....talk about the blind sow finding a acorn. The play looked odd....the anouncers scream travel....and in super slow motion there is a slight travel...caused in my opinion by a push from behind.