Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Coverage

hey guys,
I am a coach and just had a question, it came up in a game today. runner on first. groundball hit deep in the whole, shortstop gets it and throws to first, bang bang. They called my player out, as the unpire was correct the ball got to the base first, however the first baseman never had his foot on the bag. What umpire has that coverage? I believe the base ump was stationed inbetween 1st and 2nd so naturally he was sheilded so he could not see that the foot was infront of the base not on it. While I was angry I did not protest. I never protest ever. I ref basketball and know how hard it is to be in that position, and we all make mistakes, and most times its not the ump making the mistake its the coach not knowing the rules. Just woundering how you guys would have covered that so you coulda seen his foot was off the bag.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 07:23pm

If the base umpire had any question whether or not the foot was on the base, he would normally ask the PU for help. Otherwise, it's his call all the way, so he probably ruled that the foot was on the base (or up against it, that is the same thing).

You could argue the call, but you could not have protested it, as it is a judgment call, and not subject to a protest.

If an umpire is uncertain of a call, only that umpire can go to the other for help, and that is suppossed to be prior to making the actual call.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
hey guys,
I am a coach and just had a question, it came up in a game today. runner on first. groundball hit deep in the whole, shortstop gets it and throws to first, bang bang. They called my player out, as the unpire was correct the ball got to the base first, however the first baseman never had his foot on the bag. What umpire has that coverage? I believe the base ump was stationed inbetween 1st and 2nd so naturally he was sheilded so he could not see that the foot was infront of the base not on it. While I was angry I did not protest. I never protest ever. I ref basketball and know how hard it is to be in that position, and we all make mistakes, and most times its not the ump making the mistake its the coach not knowing the rules. Just woundering how you guys would have covered that so you coulda seen his foot was off the bag.
You didn't say, but I'm assuming 2-man crew on a 90' field

The BU has the call at 1B. With a runner on 1B the BU would have been in the "B" position and would have moved into a position to watch the runner from 1B touch at 2B and watch the play at 1B. His first concern, once it was obvious that a play was developing, should have been watching the play at 1B. The PU should have moved up the 3B line (distance depends on how the play is developing) to take the lead runner into 3B and home if the runner tried for home. If I am the PU and I see that the play is developing at 1B and not likely to be at 3B I will attempt to move into position to see the pulled foot. But it isn't always possible.

2-man mechanics, even worked at it's best has many limitations. One is the BU seeing a pulled foot at 1B from the B or C position unless it is very obvious. If the BU has doubts he can ask the PU for help. There are things that can help the BU that's why he shouldn't rush his call. Sometimes you can see F3's foot rock back on the bag or a late attempt to get the foot on the bag.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

As PU, I never go toward 3B on a ground ball that does not leave the infield with a runner on 1B only. This is discussed in pre-game. So I am available for pull foot help if BU wants it. I can not remember the last time I was asked for help on a pulled foot.