The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Tennessee Throw In Violations???

I thought I saw 2 clear throw in violations on Tennessee last night, and a few other close ones, each on the throw in after a made basket. The thrower never established OOB postion, and once stepped in bounds to give the pass. Actually looked like he initiated a pass, tried to hold off, then completed it in bounds.

Considering that Tennessee was wanting to transition very quickly, these throw ins seemed to give an advantage.

Anyone else see anything? I only watched it live. The TV guys didn't mention it.

Is calling this violation considered "game interupters" and only called when the guy in the top row saw it with one eye?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
I thought I saw 2 clear throw in violations on Tennessee last night, and a few other close ones, each on the throw in after a made basket. The thrower never established OOB postion, and once stepped in bounds to give the pass. Actually looked like he initiated a pass, tried to hold off, then completed it in bounds.

Considering that Tennessee was wanting to transition very quickly, these throw ins seemed to give an advantage.

Anyone else see anything? I only watched it live. The TV guys didn't mention it.

Is calling this violation considered "game interupters" and only called when the guy in the top row saw it with one eye?
Last night, I was wondering the same thing. I saw one early on, after an OSU made basket.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy

On one that I'm 99% sure you're talking about....(from the camera angle) left side of screen far side of basket.

I thought it was a violation too, at first, so I backed it up and replayed it 3-4 times (HDTV DVR) at 1/4 speed and 1/15 speed. The pass on that throwin was straight towards the camera and I could not tell is whether the ball had left his hand or not. While he foot definitely stepped inbounds, I found it impossible to definitively say it should have been a violation (since I couldn't tell the status of the ball).

From indirect clues (the time when I could finally tell where the ball was relative to the players), it appeared that the ball may have indeed been out of his hands at the time he stepped in. Again, not clear, but he may have been legal.

Thats the only one I noticed. Remember that to make the throwin, they only need to be touching OOB and not touching inbounds. They don't need to get their body past the line or get two feet OOB.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 01:07pm.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I said the same thing last night watching the game. It looked like he was on the court before the release.

(I do have to exclude some of my feelings on this as I did attend The Ohio State University)

But he really did step on the court.