The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Free throw violations?

Hey everyone,
Tonight first free throw of a one and one, defensive player steps in, shot is missed. We shoot the replacement, this happens three more times !!!NOW...on the fourth shot it goes in. We awarded the ball to the other team on the baseline, without giving them the second shot. Our rationale was that he missed the first one, so the second and third and fourth shot would not have been given without that violation. Coach wanted his second shot!! My partner and I got together, and decided that we were going to give the team the second shot. They missed and the other team scored. My question is did we do this right?
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teigan
Hey everyone,
Tonight first free throw of a one and one, defensive player steps in, shot is missed. We shoot the replacement, this happens three more times !!!NOW...on the fourth shot it goes in. We awarded the ball to the other team on the baseline, without giving them the second shot. Our rationale was that he missed the first one, so the second and third and fourth shot would not have been given without that violation. Coach wanted his second shot!! My partner and I got together, and decided that we were going to give the team the second shot. They missed and the other team scored. My question is did we do this right?
You were right to give the second shot. You were wrong to deny it. The replacements were to replace the first shot. The replacements are given as a penalty for the violation. If you then deny the second shot, you're not penalizing the premature stepping in. If defense doesn't want to keep giving the kid another chance, they should keep their feet where they belong!

I think there's also room to give some kind of warning to the defense for stepping in so consistently. That's gotta be almost deliberate, doesn't it? What level of play was this?
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

It was a JV men's game. There was no way it was deliberate IMO.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:37am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teigan
Hey everyone,
Eventually, yes.

Your original rationale was flawed in that you were thinking of those other free throws as additional free throws, when they were actually substitute shots for the first free throw.

9-1-9 A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary, or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (2 inches by 36 inches) designated by a lane-space mark or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (12 inches by 36 inches) designated by a neutral zone.

9-1-Penalties 2. If the violation is by the free-thrower's opponent only:
b. If the try is not successful, the ball becomes dead when the free throw ends, and a substitute throw shall be attempted by the same free thrower under conditions the same as for the free throw for which it is substituted.