The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
The ball became dead on the whistle (IW or OOB, i don't care why he blew it). Therefore, this is when the mistake should have been corrected.
I'm a bit confused. The refs did correct the time during the proper dead ball period.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Uh oh..where's Chuck?
I think he's just being lazy this weekend . . . sitting at some table or something.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
BTW, my answers to the various scenarios go as follows:

Ai - No timing error, continue with A's ball closest to the spot the ball was at when the whistle sounded (POI).
Aii - A timing error has occured, according to NCAA Rule 5.9.1c the clock is to be stopped when the official signals a violation. The courtside monitor should be used to determine when the clock should have been stopped according to this rule. The ball should be given to A at POI.
Aiii - A timing error has occured, the courtside monitor can be used to rectify the error based on when the clock should have started and should have stopped again based on Rule 5.9.1c. (this I feel is closest to the original situation). Ball to A at the POI.

B and C - I feel that how both teams reacted to the play is not relavent to how this situation should be handled and thus defer to my above answers for B and C situations.

We can talk about ignoring the whistle all day long, but the way I saw it was the T was certainly signaling a violation (OOB). As such the clock should properly be stopped at the point of the signal according to Rule 5.9.1c. I'm pretty sure this included a whistle since hand in the air and air in the whistle are like instinctual reactions for me and go hand in hand, as I'm sure is the case with most officials. It is important to remember Rule 2.2.2 and 2.2.3 when considering how to handle the signal and whistle. We cannot just ignore the whistle and signal because to do so would be to set aside 5.9.1c and rule 2.2.2 and 2.2.3 say we can't set aside another rule or the decision of another official. It was the T's decision to signal OOB and thus we can't set that aside regardless of whether he was right or wrong.

If somebody is interpreting it that the signal wasn't made until the ball touched someone OOB then sure everything was done according to how it should have, I just saw it as the signal came as soon as the ball hit the ground.

Furthermore, I've changed my stance on the stopwatch. The rules to call for a stopwatch to be placed tableside for the use of timing TO's. Not sure it was intended for the way it was used last night, but that's where 2.3 comes in.

In the end it comes down to the question of do we get it right or do we do it by the rules. NCAA Rule 2.2.1 seems to say we do second.
Ed: Born Yesterday, 08:50pm
Died Today, 08:37am
R.I.P.

Last edited by jkjenning; Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 10:11pm.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Ed: Born Yesterday, 08:50pm
Died Today, 08:37am
R.I.P.
what's that supposed to mean?
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
what's that supposed to mean?
The horse, Mr. Ed let's say, finally died...
...you mentioned in an earlier post that the horse was already in bad shape and I was merely confirming its death!
Quote:
I know I'm beating a dead horse (or at least a badly limping horse), but the only problem I still have with this is best explained through another hypothetical.
The additional hypothetical caused my brain to overload.