The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-game meeting with coaches/captains

What are some of the things that you experienced refs talk about with the coaches and captains during the pre-game conference? Is the dialog different with some coaches under different circumstances as opposed to others or do you use a standard speech?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 01:39pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Check the threads at the bottom of the page. I didn't look through all of them, but this one was pretty good.

Captains Meeting
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
What are some of the things that you experienced refs
Ok, so experienced is a relative term
Quote:
talk about with the coaches
timeouts: 2nd buzzer, let's be ready to play
subs: the ones who have reported are being called in, expect that late arrivals may have to wait for the next dead ball
your players should echo your call for a timeout
Quote:
and captains
If the coach calls timeout, echo it!
look sharp and help keep your team under control
Quote:
Is the dialog different with some coaches under different circumstances as opposed to others?
generally, no
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Check the threads at the bottom of the page. I didn't look through all of them, but this one was pretty good.

Captains Meeting
I know that thread was over 4 years ago, and I'm not sure if the below quote was in the rulebook at that time, but rule 2-4 Art. 5 specifically states that we should address uniform and sportsmanship to the coaches prior to the game, so the pre-game is usually a good place to do this. I'm assuming that this has always been in the book, because I've beeen saying it for at least 5 years now, and heard before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Stripes unless it is something from your state or the rulebook that requires some kind of statement on sportsmanship or behavior, say nothing. Before my state made us do all this "sportsmanship" talks, I would say nothing about the rules or the way the game would be called at all. It is not your job to give a rules clinic or explain what the game will be like. That pregame meeting should be about a minute and you move on.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 03:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I know that thread was over 4 years ago, and I'm not sure if the below quote was in the rulebook at that time, but rule 2-4 Art. 5 specifically states that we should address uniform and sportsmanship to the coaches prior to the game, so the pre-game is usually a good place to do this. I'm assuming that this has always been in the book, because I've beeen saying it for at least 5 years now, and heard before then.
Some states might have had guidelines that the rulebook did not at that time. Our state had us talking about these sportsmanship and other pre-game procedures before the NF made any directive. In some cases we had things we did a year or two before the NF adopted the rule or policy. I believe at the time of this thread there were no such NF rules that applied to what you say or not say in the pre-game meeting. My state also had a person on the NF Committee and it was clear that many things discussed filtered from discussions the NF Committee was having. So what you were doing has little if not anything to do with what the rules said.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I emphasize good sportsmanship and tell the captains they are to keep their teams under control. I tell the coaches to observe the box, be clear on timeout requests, and ask if their players are properly equipped and ready to play. Short and sweet.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 06:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Short And Sweet Also ...

After intoductions and handshakes (I actually got a chest bump this season), I say, "Coaches, please be sure that your players are properly equipped and that they know how to wear their uniforms properly". Then I say, "Coaches and captains, my partner, Mr. Smith, and I will be emphasising proper sportmanship tonight".

Depending on my mood, I now go to one of two options:
Option #1: "We all (pointing to everybody in the group) have something in common, we all love the game of basketball. Please show respect for the game that we all love by respecting your opponents, your coaches, and the officials"
Option #2: Please note that my partner, Mr. Smith, and I are the only ones in this gym tonight who don't care who wins. Everyone else in this gym, the players, coaches, fans (I point to the crowd), and cheerleaders, want one of the teams to win. Mr. Smith and I don't care who wins. Please keep that in mind tonight as we make calls in this game".

I then ask my partner, the umpire, if he or she wants to add anything. Sometimes, in a girls game, to lighten the moment, I remind the captains that "if you're going to dunk, please don't hang on the rim, because we'll call a technical foul".

Notice that I don't ask for a "spokesman" captain. This was new for me this season. I'll talk to any player, captain or noncaptain, if they address me respectfully. Twenty-five years ago, there were captains or cocaptains. Now, there are tricaptains, quadcaptains, or once this season, quintcaptains. I've had colleagues ask if the "spokesman" captain was starting. This meeting was getting to be too complicated. With the coaches joining the meeting, the group got to be too large, especially with the loud music playing, so now I try to get the meeting over with as soon as possible.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Captains - very little because (a) they won't remember it and (b) likely won't be telling it to their teammates, either.

Coaches - very little other than making sure subs get to the table and players are out of TO's on time.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 08:43pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
One kid is notorious for taking out his mouthguard & getting his handshake hand all slobbery. I do fist bumps for those games.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

I do fist bumps with or without their hands being slobbery.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:40pm
Administrator

From a historical perspective, the Head Coach have very little standing in the game. It is the Captain of the team that is important. The rule allowing the coach to talk to his players during a timeout and the intermissions between the first and second and third and fourth quarters have only been around since the later 1940's. The most important thing that I want the captains to know is that they and not the Head Coach is in charge of the team, i.e., the players on the court, as well as everybody (From the Head Coach to the Priest, Rabbi, and Nun sitting at the end of the bench.) on the bench. If I have a problem I am going to come to them for help.

Captians do not have realize how much power over the team they really have. I have a true story to prove my point. I am the R in the 1993 Michigan AAU Girls' 14U Championship Game, the winner goes to the National Tournament. The Head Coach of Team B is starting to become a real pain in the neck. As the Team B's Captain is dribbling the ball up the court, I tell her that she needs to get her Head Coach under control. Without missing a dribble she yells loud enough for everybody (about 200 people) in the gym to hear: "Dad, shut-up, you are embarassing me." I nearly swallowed my whistle. But we did not hear a word from him the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Players: "Keep your shirts in and your shorts up. I know I'm supposed to say something about sportsmanship here, but I forgot what it is. Can you help me out?"
Coaches: "I'm Larry, this is Moe, and this is Curly. We will start accepting bribes in the third quarter."
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

So captains meeting I agree is very short usually like "You familiar with the rules of basketball, have any questions, lets have fun out there with a smile"

Coaches are like "coach, players properly equiped and ready to play..... here is your box..... give us a signal on time outs so we know you are not calling a play.... any questions.... .good luck."
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
One kid is notorious for taking out his mouthguard & getting his handshake hand all slobbery. I do fist bumps for those games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1784
I do fist bumps with or without their hands being slobbery.
Hey - I heard the fist bump was "out" now....

Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
we get the captains, determine the spokes person. Then we go gentlemen tonight is about respect. white to talks to white blue talk to blue or whaterver any questions and go. Think about hs and college players dont tell thier team anything when they leave the conference. With the coaches we just go over introduce ourselves get a name and disgnate the head coach(we usually know who it is) say good luck and go. hs game same procedure unless its special like playoffs where our state association wants to enforce certain things like the box, etc..