The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Officials working the same team the first two games in the NCAA tourney

The guy from my hometown worked the Tenn game on Friday, and is working them again today. You'd think they'd flip flop guys to the 2nd game. I wonder how much that happens?
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
The guy from my hometown worked the Tenn game on Friday, and is working them again today. You'd think they'd flip flop guys to the 2nd game. I wonder how much that happens?
Maybe they were requested by the Pearlman
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 04:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Every single first and second round. There are always officials that work the first game that work the second game. So someone is going to work one of the teams in come capacity. Someone has to stick around for the weekend.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 11:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I watched most of that game. Talk about ugly basketball, but I thought the officials dealt with it pretty well.
Is Bruce always that much of a whiner?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

8 Teams at a 1st Round Site

Remember that in the 1st round there are four games at each site. With 12 officials to select from to fill six second round slots, you'd think that it would be possible to avoid assigning someone to work the same team's games back to back.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
I thought Leitao(the coach) showed tremendous restraint during an extremely poorly officiated game.... especially the shooting foul under a minute left that was waved off and called before the shot. As an observer, that would have been the 1st thing I would comment on in the post game. Same thing happened at least 10 times that I saw during the weekend. Give the foulee the benefit of the doubt, NOT the fouler. Seems I continue to see poor application of the continuous motion rule.

Last edited by socalreff; Tue Mar 20, 2007 at 02:25pm.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 01:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
No wonder UVA didn't get a fair shake on that game. I thought Leitao(the coach) showed tremendous restraint during an extremely poorly officiated game.... especially the shooting foul under a minute left that was waved off and called before the shot.
Really? How about UT's Wayne Chism's 4th foul early in the 2nd half? That was a great blocked shot IMO. And then UVA's Jason Cain hanging on the rim in the last minute attempting to block a shot and not getting T'ed up?

UVA didn't get shafted and neither did Tennessee. There are always gonna be calls that can go either way.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Mar 20, 2007 at 07:43am.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Really? How about UT's Wayne Chism's 4th foul early in the 2nd half? That was a great blocked shot IMO. And then UVA's Jason Cain hanging on the rim in the last minute attempting to block a shot and not getting T'ed up?

UVA didn't shafted and neither did Tennessee. There are always gonna be calls that can go either way.
I hoped to talk to him about the "rim hanging" at PT conferences 2nt, but he is his wife didn't get to me before we ran out of time. I think they just missed it as you do not watch that, but the contact of the player with the ball. You would see that Peripherally, and they just missed it.

The continuation on that one is a judgement call, and that means yours, mine, and theirs can and will be different. All I know is he is working a NCAA tournament game, and socalreff is an official who is questioning the integrity of great D1 officials, while sitting in his chair at home sounding more like a fan instead of a fellow official. You should know it is ok to question judgement, but an official questioning the integrity of an official at that high of a level should not happen.

Apparently socalreff has a tendency of questioning integrity. From another post...
This clown has got a history of crapping on D1 officials too, going back to last year's tournament.

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...969#post297969

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...396#post299396

Last edited by MJT; Mon Mar 19, 2007 at 11:38pm.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

The continuation on that one is a judgement call, and that means yours, mine, and theirs can and will be different.

Not a basketball official(softball) but I was at the UVA/TENN game and the official pointed at the floor when he blew his whistle. The replay clearly showed the contact occurred before Singletary made an attempt to shoot. The play was a big one in the game and when the ball went through the hoop there was a big reaction from the crowd. The official forcefully waved off the points which brought an even bigger reaction. I don't know what "continuous motion" means in the context of basketall rules, but it appeared to me the official made the correct call.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 11:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
No wonder UVA didn't get a fair shake on that game. I thought Leitao(the coach) showed tremendous restraint during an extremely poorly officiated game.... especially the shooting foul under a minute left that was waved off and called before the shot. As an observer, that would have been the 1st thing I would comment on in the post game. Same thing happened at least 10 times that I saw during the weekend. Give the foulee the benefit of the doubt, NOT the fouler. Seems I continue to see poor application of the continuous motion rule.
Wow. A guy from Iowa works the Tennessee game and somehow it explains how the Virginia team got screwed?

The official obviously saw something you didn't; like an invitation to officiate these basketball games.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
but he is his wife
I was going to ask how this works, but I decided I really didn't want to know.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 08:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I was going to ask how this works, but I decided I really didn't want to know.
I think it's a Ray Stevens thing, only with a "Not-that-there's-anything-wrong-with-that" twist.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=MJT]I hoped to talk to him about the "rim hanging" at PT conferences 2nt, but he is his wife didn't get to me before we ran out of time. I think they just missed it as you do not watch that, but the contact of the player with the ball. You would see that Peripherally, and they just missed it.

The continuation on that one is a judgement call, and that means yours, mine, and theirs can and will be different. All I know is he is working a NCAA tournament game, and socalreff is an official who is questioning the integrity of great D1 officials, while sitting in his chair at home sounding more like a fan instead of a fellow official. You should know it is ok to question judgement, but an official questioning the integrity of an official at that high of a level should not happen.

Apparently socalreff has a tendency of questioning integrity.

I wasn't questioning the integrity of anybody. If that's the way it came across, I sincerely apologize to everyone and esp. the crew. I don't believe anyone at that level goes into a game with any bias whatsoever. I do think , however, that whenever possible for perception sake, it's good not to officiate the same team twice in the tournament. Officiating a team back to back would give officials more of a comfort level with one team as the offense and defense they're running is fresh in their mind. Therefore, I would surmise that the official would naturally be in better position on a higher percentage of plays when he knows what to expect. That's what I was trying to say.

Last edited by socalreff; Tue Mar 20, 2007 at 06:11pm.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 04:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I wasn't questioning the integrity of anybody.
Oh? Gee, somebody must be posting under your name then. Whoever it was made the following statements:
1) No wonder UVA didn't get a fair shake on that game.
2) I thought that Leitao showed tremendous restraint during an extremely poorly officiated game.
3)Same thing happened at least 10 times that I saw during this weekend.
4)Seems I continue to see poor application of the continuous motion rule.

You might want to find the guy that's been posting under your name. It seems that he's posted numerous other times also doing nothing but completely crapping all over D1 Mens officials doing the tournament. If you do happen to find him, please tell from me what a low-rent, back-stabbing, integrity-free clown he happens to be.

Good luck in finding whoever has been posting under your name.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wasn't questioning the integrity of anybody. If that's the way it came across, I sincerely apologize to everyone and esp. the crew. I don't believe anyone at that level goes into a game with any bias whatsoever. I do think , however, that whenever possible for perception sake, it's good not to officiate the same team twice in the tournament. Officiating a team back to back would give officials more of a comfort level with one team as the offense and defense they're running is fresh in their mind. Therefore, I would surmise that the official would naturally be in better position on a higher percentage of plays when he knows what to expect. That's what I was trying to say.
I remeber seeing in another thread that your favorite NCAA official is Chuck Gonzalez. He worked the The LSU game in the first and second round this year and I think he did a great job in both games.