The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Rescinded T

Wow, Bobby McRoy just called a T on a player and then rescinded it! 2nd half of UCLA/Cal. It's been quite a while since I've seen anything like that at that level.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

I've never seen that in an NCAA game. Did he get it right?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think that it is a question of right or wrong. It was just a strange sitch.
During the dead ball between FTs for UCLA there were subs entering and a UCLA player and a Cal player crossed and bumped in front of the table as they were heading to their benches. The players exchanged words and the Cal player can clearly be seen yapping at the opponent. McRoy is standing nearby and seems to catch the tail end of the exchange. I doubt that he observed the contact. He whistles and T's only the Cal player.
Then there is a quick discussion with a partner and the T is rescinded.

That's what it looked like from the TV. I can't tell you anything else.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I don't think that it is a question of right or wrong. It was just a strange sitch.
During the dead ball between FTs for UCLA there were subs entering and a UCLA player and a Cal player crossed and bumped in front of the table as they were heading to their benches. The players exchanged words and the Cal player can clearly be seen yapping at the opponent. McRoy is standing nearby and seems to catch the tail end of the exchange. I doubt that he observed the contact. He whistles and T's only the Cal player.
Then there is a quick discussion with a partner and the T is rescinded.

That's what it looked like from the TV. I can't tell you anything else.
Perhaps the partner filled him in on the words or actions that preceeded what McRoy saw/heard....and having the complete picture can change everything.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Perhaps the partner filled him in on the words or actions that preceeded what McRoy saw/heard....and having the complete picture can change everything.
Of course, that is probably what happened, and I obviously understood that, but I have to wonder how words or actions that are deemed unsporting a few seconds before by an official suddenly become no longer unsporting because of some other info from a partner.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
as long as they get the play right, that's all that matters. We will see...
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 07:51am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
as long as they get the play right, that's all that matters...

Do people realize how ridiculous this way of thinking is? Apply this theory to a D1 game and have an ugly situation every game where you "just get it right." Right or wrong, you will be fired.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

hmmmmmm let's see speaking of ridiculous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Do people realize how ridiculous this way of thinking is? Apply this theory to a D1 game and have an ugly situation every game where you "just get it right." Right or wrong, you will be fired.
I am pretty sure we are talking about an NCAA game in the OP, or did the PAC 10 drop down to Div II this year and I didn't catch it.....getting it right is the most important thing in the game...yes if you have several games that have ugly situations that you just have to "get right" you may not work as many next year....but if a situation comes up, and you Don't get it right, it is my guess that is more likely to get you fired than getting it right.....
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 12:27pm
Huck Finn

Hmmmmmmm, you just made it more ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
I am pretty sure we are talking about an NCAA game in the OP, or did the PAC 10 drop down to Div II this year and I didn't catch it.....getting it right is the most important thing in the game...yes if you have several games that have ugly situations that you just have to "get right" you may not work as many next year....but if a situation comes up, and you Don't get it right, it is my guess that is more likely to get you fired than getting it right.....
Since we agree that you will get fired, or at least get less games, we should be able to agree that saying that in the middle of March is ridiculous.

Who do you know of that goes out to officiate a game and doesn't intend on getting calls right? How about an official who has another agenda besides getting calls right? Since we know that they want to get calls right, why say that is all that matters like it is a revelation?
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Since we agree that you will get fired, or at least get less games, we should be able to agree that saying that in the middle of March is ridiculous.

nope we don't agree....I said if it happens several times....1 time with an ugly situation won't get you fired. There was an ugly situation earlier this year in a particular MWC game...New Mexico - Wyoming....very ugly, they may or may not have actually gotten everything correct.....I see that the R in that game hasn't worked yet in the MWC tournament....Nope he didn't get fired, he is too busy working the Big 12 tournament.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Perhaps it can change.....but I would think towards calling a T on both players rather than taking one back. If the official called the original T based on what he heard/observed and did not catch preceding actions, does that really change anything on the T he called? Of course we won't know the full details since none of us were involved but I find this situation based on what is presented in this thread to be very strange. Maybe he thought he heard a particular word or phrase and was mistaken based on his partner's input but if he wasn't sure why call the T in the first place?
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Killian
Perhaps it can change.....but I would think towards calling a T on both players rather than taking one back. If the official called the original T based on what he heard/observed and did not catch preceding actions, does that really change anything on the T he called? Of course we won't know the full details since none of us were involved but I find this situation based on what is presented in this thread to be very strange. Maybe he thought he heard a particular word or phrase and was mistaken based on his partner's input but if he wasn't sure why call the T in the first place?

Agreed with what you just said. If the partner came in with additional information he should have had a whistle too OR we will go with a double T personally, I will not recind a Technical.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
nope we don't agree....I said if it happens several times....1 time with an ugly situation won't get you fired. There was an ugly situation earlier this year in a particular MWC game...New Mexico - Wyoming....very ugly, they may or may not have actually gotten everything correct.....I see that the R in that game hasn't worked yet in the MWC tournament....Nope he didn't get fired, he is too busy working the Big 12 tournament.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm
There's another factor to consider: how many years you've been in "the league." A guy who has been working in the league for 25 years and is one of the assigner's studs, in other words somebody with a long history of generally getting stuff right, will generally survive a screw up with far less consequence than a guy who's been in the league for 3 years and generally has a U somewhere in his job description.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Context is everything

Once the crew conferred, i surmise they had two options:

1) T both players
2) T nobody (recind the T)

Since the context (incidental bump that both/one player took exception to) wasn't entirely unsporting, I'm sure that's why they opted for the do over.

The commentators praised the crew (not that their opinion matters!), and I'm sure neither coach would have cared for a double T at that point of the game (not that what they "want" matters either).

"admitting a mistake, can be a sign of strength, not weakness"

...just don't be "stong" too many times!
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 04:14pm
Esteemed Participant

At first, I thought they had called the double T - which would result in no shots, play resuming from the POI and clueless announcers saying things like "the ref took back the T"...but checking the box score shows there were no T's called, so he did take it back - which is really weird (in a bad way)...