The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 05:07pm
Huck Finn

This is what happened

The official called a double T
The other official (the R even though it doesn't matter) came in and questioned the call
The calling official waived off the double T

Personally, I don't think the other official should have said anything, but sometimes it is a matter of survival at this level and that is why the call was changed.

The overtime game yesterday also included an inadvertant whistle. The official granted a timeout when the opposite team had the ball. Lesson learned: always make sure the calling team has the ball or the ball is loose after a made basket.

Also, the intentional technical foul was indeed kicked the day before yesterday. Let's just say the situation was rushed (the calling official has championship experience(s)). When we talk about getting together after a technical foul to make sure we all know what we got, it is very beneficial.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
The official called a double T
The other official (the R even though it doesn't matter) came in and questioned the call
The calling official waived off the double T

Personally, I don't think the other official should have said anything, but sometimes it is a matter of survival at this level and that is why the call was changed.

The overtime game yesterday also included an inadvertant whistle. The official granted a timeout when the opposite team had the ball. Lesson learned: always make sure the calling team has the ball or the ball is loose after a made basket.

Also, the intentional technical foul was indeed kicked the day before yesterday. Let's just say the situation was rushed (the calling official has championship experience(s)). When we talk about getting together after a technical foul to make sure we all know what we got, it is very beneficial.
tomegun,
Thanks for the details. Evidently, I was incorrect about only the Cal player initially being charged with a T, but as I said this is what it looked like on TV because he only pointed at the Cal player after giving the T sign just once.

It is awesome to get the facts of what happened from those guys. I think it is very big of them and very cool to share and admit their mistakes. In my opinion, it shows real character and class that they don't consider themselves above being questioned. I truly enjoy learning from their experiences. Please pass along my thanks for their openness.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Of course, that is probably what happened, and I obviously understood that, but I have to wonder how words or actions that are deemed unsporting a few seconds before by an official suddenly become no longer unsporting because of some other info from a partner.
Imagine this:

R sees A1 and B1 near each other and hears A1 say "(mumble, mumble) You're a G#$ D@#! M@##@! F#@^!&# Idiot. (mumble, muble)" Whack.

U1 comes in and tells the R the entire conversation...."Hey, Joe, that wasn't cool last week when Bob said You're a G#$ D@#! M@##@! F#@^!&# Idiot. You're a great guy and it was uncalled for."

While some people might still call a T for profanity, it is certainly not the same. I'm sure I could come up with a profanity free example but I think it adequately draws the picture.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Agreed with what you just said. If the partner came in with additional information he should have had a whistle too OR we will go with a double T personally, I will not recind a Technical.
Even if that info lets you know you completely missed the boat on what really happened...that with the whole story there was no T'able action???