The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 03:25pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I wonder what those rulemakers would have thought about a sign I saw in the stands at a televised USC - UCLA game a few years back? A UCLA student's sign read "Flush Used Trojans".
Or the t-shirts worn at an Oregon - Washington football game years back...they said "Huck the Fuskies"...
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Or the t-shirts worn at an Oregon - Washington football game years back...they said "Huck the Fuskies"...
Not any different than t-shirts seen in Ohio and Illinois: Muck Fichigan.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 03:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You'd think a school called the Ducks might think twice about that kind of sign.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 05:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
Since I have become a "patched" basketball official in PA, there have been two times when the gym has been cleared except for the players and coaches. The teams were rivals and fights occurred at the game between fans. The teams played their games without fans the following year. This sent a message to the fans in my opinion and they have behaved in subsequent years. There will probably be more incidents in the future between rival schools but in the mean time this has controled the problem.

Barring fans sends a message on a couple of different levels. The community, parents, students all get the message. A financial message is also sent - no revenue from gate or concessions.
Clearing the stands has always been an option for officials, but it seems like it is only supported if you got a riot breaking out. How much of this behavior is something that the officials has jurisdiction over? IOW, at what point can we step in and say no more? If we are looking at no man's land here, then this problem is only going to get much worse. What I mean by no man's land is if I, the official go to the school manager and say these fans are out of control and I'm stopping the game because I want those guys out, the whole section, and the administrator says I don't have the authority to do that, and none of the other officials that have worked here has had a problem with it. Now I got to let it go and probably have ruined my chances of working in that gym again. No official is going to want to touch that! No man's land and the fans know it.

To the posters that think our society caters too much to the minority or insignificant issues. On this particular issue I have to disagree. Now removing the Easter Bunny from the government building. Yes, that trivial. This problem, is a problem that's only going to get worse. For some reason that I have not been able to figure out, our society likes to one up the other, which cause more and more extreme behavior and actions. For ex: Janet wardrobe malfunction. Washington is being proactive to the problem. What I'm saying is they are attempting to do something about it before it reaches a crisis situation.

Actually, and you guys are probably going to disagree with me on this, but I think the NFHS needs to fix this. They have the authority to mandate that such chants, and other actions by followers not be allowed in their games. Not just put the onus on the officials either, but also of the school administration, especially if it's own students are doing this. Even if it's not the home team fans, this will not be tolerated. If we get it from the Fed. then it's across the board and Washington and other states don't have to have special laws in there books to legislate, imho.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You do not need a policy like this to encourage good behavior. You just need to get rid of the clowns that think they can say anything without penalty.
Sadly, in the institutionalized world of education, with the threat of lawsuits on every hand for any act that could be regarded as disciplining Little Johnny, the lack of a policy can make a big difference. If left to their own devices, some administrators already do an admirable job of policing their crowds. And some do not. The creation of a policy will empower, even encourage some of the slackers to take care of business. But, of course, it will not solve the problem entirely.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 10:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Sadly, in the institutionalized world of education, with the threat of lawsuits on every hand for any act that could be regarded as disciplining Little Johnny, the lack of a policy can make a big difference. If left to their own devices, some administrators already do an admirable job of policing their crowds. And some do not. The creation of a policy will empower, even encourage some of the slackers to take care of business. But, of course, it will not solve the problem entirely.
Yes, but it will help to keep it at bay, especially for what you call the slackers. Remember, this is a race. We are trying to stay one step ahead of the people who insist on being idiots. The idiots are trying to find what they can do that is within the rules, which goes to your point about disciplining Johnny. Too often our society doesn't consider anything a problem until someone has either gotten hurt or killed. Then everyone is ready to act. I say nip it in the bud right now before an accident happens.

As far as the problem being solved entirely. That is not the job or responsibility of basketball. We are only concerned about what takes place at our games. What you do or say once the game is over and you are off the school grounds becomes the problem of the state.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 08:46pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
You'd think a school called the Ducks might think twice about that kind of sign.
Wouldn't they be immune to this type of sign?
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Duck'em !!!
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

At a HS rivalry game, where visiting teams young player is making shots, so his fans are yelling "He's a sophomore"..... 20 seconds later he has the ball again but dribbles off his foot out of bounds. Home team opponents fans start chanting "He's a sophomore"!
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

"Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech"
Remember that one?
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
"Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech"
Remember that one?
Congress and a state high school association are two different things. You can make rules of conduct for attending functions. It is not a right to attend a sporting event. This is why you see many pro fans get ejected for just saying things that are seen inappropriate.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 04:20pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
And yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater when there is no fire isn't necessarily covered under the 'free speech' clause, either.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
And yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater when there is no fire isn't necessarily covered under the 'free speech' clause, either.
But booing the movie is covered.