The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Nevadaref, I believe that the mechanics listed by BillyMac are used in Connecticut only. They are Connecticut adaptations of IAABO mechanics. IAABO does not recommend the use of the "not closely guarded" signal or pointing at the floor on a 2-point attempt, etc. (as far as I know).

IAABO only differs from the FED mechanics on a couple of points (one good and one bad, IMHO) and none of them is listed in Billy's post.
Thanks for clarification. I know that IAABO does have a mechanics manual and does a couple of things differently such as positioning on time-outs.

It looks like you only strengthen my point that SOME LOCAL associations alter the mechanics of the NFHS.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 09:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From Scrapper1: "IAABO only differs from the FED mechanics on a couple of points (one good and one bad, IMHO)"

Scrapper1: If you have time, can you highlight some of the differences between IAABO and NFHS mechanics? Also, I'm curious, which is the "good" one and which is the "bad" one?

Nevadaref: The Connecticut mechanics I listed are only for Connecticut, and, I believe, they are for two man games. In Connecticut, most regular season games are two man games, the last rounds of the state tournament are three man games.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 08, 2007 at 09:33pm.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

So your point in posting that Conn info was to support my statement that some local associations alter the NFHS mechanics, right?

Thank you.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 08:20am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Scrapper1: If you have time, can you highlight some of the differences between IAABO and NFHS mechanics? Also, I'm curious, which is the "good" one and which is the "bad" one?
I'm only aware of two differences in the 2-whistle system (which is mostly what I use).

1) NFHS says for the officials to stand on the blocks during a full time-out. IAABO says to have one official at the spot where the ball will be put in play and the other official at midcourt. That's the good one.

2) NFHS says that the Lead official is responsible for the nearer sideline all the way to the other endline. IAABO recommends an "optional" coverage in which the Trail official is responsible for the Lead's sideline above the FT line extended. When the Trail makes a call on that line, the offcials don't switch. I don't like this mechanic. Mostly just because it's not what I'm used to.