View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball
I would add that it is really hard to ever say someone is the best official in the state; unless you watch a lot of basketball and travel the state, you will have only seen a fraction of the best officials. I can tell you that boise has a number of top notch officials that never even make it to state because of the limited number of spots and the quota system for choosing officials; the coaches pick the refs, which is hardly a system for finding the "best in the state." Plus, and this is just my opinion, the top guys are all so similar; trying to say one is the best is basically a crap shoot; they all do a great job and have nearly identical philosophies -- stay the heck out of the way, referee the defense, and use perfect mechanics.
I covered Idaho high school ball for a couple of years for the Post Register and got to know ALL of the officials on the eastern side of the state and most of the western.

You're point is absolutely correct though. I'm definitely Hadley biased (BTW, shout out to Brad's brother Dave who coached the Shelley boys team to the state title!!) There's no real reason for saying anyone is "the best," but Brad's definitely up there IMO. His partner for that game is a good guy too. District 6 has some really great officials.